QT tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok Im going to set up a 20 gallon QT tank for new fish that i want to put in my show tank eventually. I have a couple of questions on this.
1) can I use a bio wheel for a filter?
2) Also Im going to use some of my show tank and a spounge from the sump of my show tank to put in for bacteria. I assume this is what needs to be done?
3) how long should the QT tank be set up before my new fish can be put in there?
4) can I get a small peice of LR and put in the tank with the new fish?
5) Do I need a water pump for water movement or will the filter provide enough water movement?
6) How long do I leave the fish in QT and do I do water changes for it during this period of time??
Anything Im missing??
Thanks

fishman said:
Ok Im going to set up a 20 gallon QT tank for new fish that i want to put in my show tank eventually. I have a couple of questions on this.
1) can I use a bio wheel for a filter?
Yes that will be fine
2) Also Im going to use some of my show tank and a spounge from the sump of my show tank to put in for bacteria. I assume this is what needs to be done?
Great idea.
3) how long should the QT tank be set up before my new fish can be put in there?
I just give it a couple of days, if your using the sponge filter from your main.
4) can I get a small peice of LR and put in the tank with the new fish?
No, bare bottom is best, you may have to use med, this will kill the rock and dilute the medications. You can use some pvc elbow for hiding places for the fish.
5) Do I need a water pump for water movement or will the filter provide enough water movement?
Filter should do, depending on its size.
6) How long do I leave the fish in QT and do I do water changes for it during this period of time??
4 weeks is the recommended time, test water daily for ammonia and nitrite. I do a 25% daily water change or as dictated by your water tests. A lot depends on the bioload.
Anything Im missing??
Sounds like you set. Good luck!! :)
Thanks

[edit by BillyZ]you quoted you're own reply hehe :wink: [/edit]

If you don't need lighting or typical hood, what type of covering do you use?

I'd like it to be pretty tight for an eel but need to be able to attach HOB filter.

Back
Top Bottom