QT TANK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snowdude

Aquarium Advice Activist
I now have a QT tank, I filled it with water from my display tank before I did a water change on the display tank.

My questions are:

1) how do i maintain it since it does not always have fish in it?
2) should i keep a damsel or grouper in it?
3) Do i have to do water changes?

thanks

1)A large majority of people will just fill up the Q tank when they are getting a new fish and take it down after that.

2) Keep a grouper in a small Q tank??? THese fish get extremly large, I"m not sure why you would want to keep one in there. You could keep a damsel if you wanted to but I'd just fill up the Q tank whenever needed

3) This will depend on water quality and the type and size of fish you have in the Q tank.

1) how do i maintain it since it does not always have fish in it?

Since we usually suggest you only setup the QT tank in advance of a new fish purchase it would not need to be maintained between fish purchases. Most folks might have a small hang on filter (with the carbon removed from the filter) running in the sump of their main system and then transfer that to the QT tank when it gets setup. That will give you an instant bio filter.

2) should i keep a damsel or grouper in it?

QT tanks should be sized per what your putting in there for quarinteen. And a QT tank by its very nature does not have fish living it full time.

3) Do i have to do water changes?

Monitor water levels in the QT tank during the QT period and perform water changes as needed. If your medicating the QT tank then be aware that a water change might affect the performance of the medication.

Back
Top Bottom