QT Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alicappello

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I didn't know anything about QT tanks untill now. WHat should I put in it, do I change the water every time I add a new fish? Do I use the water from my main tank, and is 5 gal. big enough?

Thanks

5 gallons is a little small. It may be ok for a small fish but water changes will be required regularly. Due to lack of biological filtration water changes may be needed every other day to keep ammonia down in a bigger tank. A 5 gal may need changes everyday. Most QT tanks are bare glass tanks with a filter, heater and some pvc fittings thrown in for hiding. You would QT all new fish as they come in then if the observation went OK you can add it to the show tank. Then QT your next fish. If you use a larger tank you can QT more than 1 fish at a time.

Bare bottom with water from your main, A 5 gallon is a bit too small, I would go with at least a 10 gallon depending on the size of fish in question.
You will need a small trickle filter, a heater and some PVC elbows for the fish to hide in. Here is a pic of a basic 10 gallon qt tank.
You can also place a small sponge in your sump or filter to seed it with the needed nitrifying bacteria to give the qt a "jump start".

Attachments

• 10gallonqt0001_165.jpg
    10gallonqt0001_165.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 124
One more question what additives should I be adding to the tank each week, for fish, live rock, and coral. Sorry Iam still new at this and I want to be sure I am adding the right things! 8O

Test water parameter and do water changes weekly.
With a good water change schedule, you don't have to add anything IMO. The quality salt mixes have what you need in them.
There may come times where you have to add somthing (buffer and such), but that is situational and I never add anything that cannot be tested for.
A lot of people use additives, I'm sure someone will disagree. :wink:

don't forget to do 10x flow in your QT too... I didn't at first, and my clown was very pissed off. I tossed in my Duetto 100 filter (which I highly recommend for QT's now) and he perked right up. I also had a filter sponge which I had let sit in the main tank for a week or two beforehand.

Back
Top Bottom