QT tank help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all!

I started a 75g tank 6 weeks ago, then, I found this site. :D

I found out from you guys, that I need a qt/hospital tank. I set the tank up about 2 1/2 weeks ago. It is a 10g tank with a little filter, 3pd live rock piece, and a bag of charcoal with an airstone in it. As soon as I set it up, I removed some damsels for fighting, and kept them in the tank for 2 days before I took them back to the lfs. The Nitrites in the tank are off the scale, as well as the nitrates. PH and ammonia good.

How do I get the levels down?
Or what do I need to do or not do?

Thanks!

Do a 20% water change and see what happens. Also, if you need to treat for any diseases, the rock will have to go. A proper qt tank need to be bare bottom, with just some pvc elbows for the fish to hide in.
Also if you need to treat with meds, the carbon would have to go. This will absorb any med you would put in.
If its cycled, thats great but keeping water parameters under control in a qt tank is achieved by water changes, depending on the bioload. Or you can keep a small sponge in the sump of your main. If you need to set it up, just put the sponge it the qt tank filter and voila, instant cycle.
HTH

Back
Top Bottom