Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-10-2011, 09:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

QT tank question

Hey guys, I have a 75g with a 30g fuge. I was thinking about starting a QT tank for some fish. I really dont want to get anything bigger than i have too so what is the smallest you all would recommend? I have an extra 10g and a 20g laying around.

Thanks!!
Mike

Old 02-10-2011, 10:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would use the twenty. I always feel like I'm stressing out the fish even more when I put it in a small QT tank. Also depends a little on the size of the fish and how long they will be staying in the QT tank.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yea, good point. Does anyone else have any other pointers for me on setting one up. Ive read that the temp needs to be a bit higher... right around 80 degrees. Is that true
Old 02-10-2011, 10:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just.A.Bit.Salty View Post
I would use the twenty. I always feel like I'm stressing out the fish even more when I put it in a small QT tank. Also depends a little on the size of the fish and how long they will be staying in the QT tank.
I agree, the 20G would definately be the better choice, especially since a majority of SW fish are wild-caught and therefore not used to being in such a small, enclosed space. I would also recommend putting in some sort of shelter (ie. flower pot, pvc pipe) so the fish has somewhere to take cover and feel more secure. Other than that, the tank should be bare (no sand, LR, etc.).
You will need...
-filter
-powerhead
-heater
-test kit (pH, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite)
-airstone (optional)

As you probably know you should keep your new/sick fish in the QT for at least two weeks or until any illness is cleared, checking water parameters regularily. *Important note: If a new fish shows signs of sickness after (ie. a week into) quarantine, then you should treat the problem accordingly and begin the two week period all over again.
Oh and remember not to use carbon in the filter, as carbon will remove any medication from the water.

Regarding your question on temperature, as far as I know the QT temperature requirements are the same as the display tank (72 - 78F), but you should look into it if you're unsure.

Hope this helps
Old 02-10-2011, 10:42 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

You guys are awesome. Thanks a lot I really enjoy this site. I have only had my tank for about 6 months so I am really a newbie. Thanks for sharing the information.

Tags
qt tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com