QT tank question - Bacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have had a QT tank set up now with fish in and out of it for about 5 months. I accidently fed to much the other day (with 2 fish in the 30 gallon QT Tank). I put way to much food in it and now its got like .1 ammonia. I have had no issues with it until this point.

My question is I am putting small peices of rubble rock from my main into the QT tank. Will do this do the trick in aiding the ammonia issue?

Also I have had copper in the QT one time previously. It was some 3 years ago. (Cupramine). Can I boil the rubble rocks in hot water and then use them in my main again?

A water change might help a lot to to bring the ammonia down. What kind of filtration are you running on it?

I'm unsure about the copper part, sorry.

You probably are not adding enough rubble rock to help very much. I would go with a 20% PWC and maybe even do 2/day if the ammonia doesn't come down immediatley.

I would not put the rock back in the main tank unless it was tested first.

fishman said:
My question is I am putting small peices of rubble rock from my main into the QT tank. Will do this do the trick in aiding the ammonia issue?

It can't hurt, but it won't immediately help you with the ammonia. I dealt with this about 3 weeks ago when I overloaded my QT with new residents. It took 9 days or so for the bacteria to "catch up", but all during that time I did 50% water changes daily to keep the ammonia levels down. After 9 days, everything balanced back out again and the new residents are happy campers. Like others have mentioned, I'd keep a good supply of salt water handy and do daily water changes until things get back in balance.

Also I have had copper in the QT one time previously. It was some 3 years ago. (Cupramine). Can I boil the rubble rocks in hot water and then use them in my main again?

While I've never dealt with copper issues, boiling the rocks will do nothing except kill off the bacteria and anything living. All contaminants will remain.

Good news to report is my ammonia never got above .1 and tonight its back to normal. I did a 5 gallon water change for the past 3 nights and finally its back to normal. I just overfed that one night...will have to be more careful.
Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom