Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-06-2007, 12:17 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
QT tank question - Bacteria

I have had a QT tank set up now with fish in and out of it for about 5 months. I accidently fed to much the other day (with 2 fish in the 30 gallon QT Tank). I put way to much food in it and now its got like .1 ammonia. I have had no issues with it until this point.

My question is I am putting small peices of rubble rock from my main into the QT tank. Will do this do the trick in aiding the ammonia issue?

Also I have had copper in the QT one time previously. It was some 3 years ago. (Cupramine). Can I boil the rubble rocks in hot water and then use them in my main again?

Old 06-06-2007, 10:37 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
A water change might help a lot to to bring the ammonia down. What kind of filtration are you running on it?

I'm unsure about the copper part, sorry.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:03 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Per drsfosterandsmith:
"Safe for filter bed and can easily be removed with chemical filtration."
You might be able to use Fluval Lab Series Opti-Carb but I would also buy a copper test to make sure. I doubt boiling in water would remove the copper. You can also run some Purigen to help with ammonia, along with regular PWCs.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:45 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

You probably are not adding enough rubble rock to help very much. I would go with a 20% PWC and maybe even do 2/day if the ammonia doesn't come down immediatley.

I would not put the rock back in the main tank unless it was tested first.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Re: QT tank question - Bacteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman
My question is I am putting small peices of rubble rock from my main into the QT tank. Will do this do the trick in aiding the ammonia issue?
It can't hurt, but it won't immediately help you with the ammonia. I dealt with this about 3 weeks ago when I overloaded my QT with new residents. It took 9 days or so for the bacteria to "catch up", but all during that time I did 50% water changes daily to keep the ammonia levels down. After 9 days, everything balanced back out again and the new residents are happy campers. Like others have mentioned, I'd keep a good supply of salt water handy and do daily water changes until things get back in balance.

Quote:
Also I have had copper in the QT one time previously. It was some 3 years ago. (Cupramine). Can I boil the rubble rocks in hot water and then use them in my main again?
While I've never dealt with copper issues, boiling the rocks will do nothing except kill off the bacteria and anything living. All contaminants will remain.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Good news to report is my ammonia never got above .1 and tonight its back to normal. I did a 5 gallon water change for the past 3 nights and finally its back to normal. I just overfed that one night...will have to be more careful.
Thanks for the help!

Tags
bacteria, qt tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com