Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2006, 07:06 PM   #11
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman
Also once I set it up and running and want to make sure I have enough bacteria in the QT tank, can I test it without adding a fish first to make sure it will carry the bioload of the fish?
You can do it without a fish but it still needs a nutrient source. There could be a good lot of bacteria but no hobbyist test will tell you that without something rotting or ammonia being added/produced.

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-04-2006, 08:10 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Ok so once I get the QT up and running, to be sure I would throw a peice of shrimp or krill in the tank and wait say 3-4 days?

Old 04-05-2006, 11:46 AM   #13
steve-s

Not enough time to tell really. Why not set the QT up now instead of in 2-3 weeks and just cycle it the same you would your display?

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-05-2006, 11:03 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Question is what do you cycle with? The reason I ask is I tried cycling it last time with 8-10 krill. In about 3 days I had slime everywhere in the tank. It was like floating snot in the tank. I assume this was because of the krill?
I have asked at like Walmart and such about a large peice of shrimp that is uncooked and unseasoned and cant seem to find any...
Is the snot normal? How many shrimp for a 30 gallon? Any recommendations?
Old 04-06-2006, 10:24 AM   #15
steve-s

Quote:
Question is what do you cycle with? The reason I ask is I tried cycling it last time with 8-10 krill. In about 3 days I had slime everywhere in the tank. It was like floating snot in the tank. I assume this was because of the krill?
If it was a thick clear slime, it was an accumulation of bacteria. For the average QT size, one or two krill would have been plenty. Dried foods though are not as advantageous as fresh. Takes much longer for them to break down .

Quote:
I have asked at like Walmart and such about a large peice of shrimp that is uncooked and unseasoned and cant seem to find any...
Is the snot normal? How many shrimp for a 30 gallon? Any recommendations?
If you have any frozen food, add some of that. Really doesn't matter what form the ammonia comes from as long as it's produced. You also don't need high numbers for a tank to cycle. As long as the ammonia registers above 0.05, it's all good.

Set the tank up, add your ammonia source, let it run about a week and then add your biowheel. You should have an ammonia reading by the time the wheel is added so you can easily guage the effectiveness and readiness of the biofilter by the end of the second week.

Remember, no rock or sand. Just inert plastics or decorations of some kind for the fish to hide. You can use carbon/resin products, just be sure you rinse them regularaly in FW or change for new so they do not become a bilogical source. If treatment with a med becomes necessary, they willl need to be removed and you don't want the biofilter going with them.

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-14-2006, 01:21 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry it took me so long to get back...
Yes the slime was clear for the most part. I just dont remember it being like that.
Yes I am soaking the bio wheels now for the QT tank and will throw in a couple of small krill once the QT is up and running like you said. I want the biowheels to soak for a couple or maybe 3 weeks. Im in no hurry!!!
Ok so Im going to use polyfilter. I do rinse them in FW and not the tank water when Im doing a water change? I thought by rinsing the filters and such in FW it would kill the bacteria?
Old 04-14-2006, 07:22 PM   #17
steve-s

Quote:
I want the biowheels to soak for a couple or maybe 3 weeks. Im in no hurry!!!
The longer it seeds the better it will be. So if three weeks is doable, your just fine.

Quote:
Ok so Im going to use polyfilter. I do rinse them in FW and not the tank water when Im doing a water change? I thought by rinsing the filters and such in FW it would kill the bacteria?
Since this is a QT application, the Polyfilter may need to be removed if meds are added. In keeping with that, you do not want it to become an integral part of the biofilter. Using FW will help keep it clean and at the same time keep it from being a bacterial source. Let your biowheel handle that, they really are excellent for this.

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-14-2006, 08:34 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh I see. Well if I am relying on the biowheel then I will for sure make sure it is seeded well. Would you think rinsing it every other day would be appropriate?
Also what would keep me from using Prime as well just because? It cant hurt can it? Or should I just go without it and see what happens??
Thanks for all your help!!
Old 04-15-2006, 02:27 PM   #19
steve-s

Quote:
Would you think rinsing it every other day would be appropriate?
Should work fine but you don't need to use the polyfilter until there's actually fish in the tank. Completely uneccesary otherwise and a waste of $$.

Quote:
Also what would keep me from using Prime as well just because? It cant hurt can it? Or should I just go without it and see what happens??
The only reason you will need to use Prime and/or the like is if the biofilter wasn't functioning and the water changes wouldn't keep up. Again, no need unless there are fish in the tank or your using tap water. You need to be careful to avoid it's use if you can help it though. If copper meds are ever needed, products like Prime will break the bonds of chelates/amine based remedies and make them toxic.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
new fish, qt tank, set up, tan, tank set up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com