QT tank size for a 4-5" trigger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
Bringing home a 4-5" sargassum trigger next week and need to QT it. I have a 10g tank that is up and running awaiting my next fish but this is too small a tank. I know most don't recommend having LR in the QT tank but I had extra so there' around 10lbs in there that couldu be pulled out if I need to treat the fish. Would a 20g be decently sufficent to house this fish if I keep a close eye on amonia. Hopefully the LR will help a bit...

That's not too bad a set up but most QT are in the 29g or bigger that I have seen, especially for that size of fish. IMO

That's a nice size fish, congrats. :)
I think you'll be ok with the 20g as long as you are diligent with keeping an eye on the water parameters. JMO If it was a 20g long, that would be even better.

Do those ammonia alerts from seachem or Virbac really work....?

I've used seachems and it worked. I'd change them out every six months or so though, since they are very cheap, as insurance.

Fluff said:
I've used seachems and it worked. I'd change them out every six months or so though, since they are very cheap, as insurance.

I would just use it in my QT tank, so I'd probably just repalce it everytime I got a new fish just to be safe.

jamal-188 said:
Fluff said:

I would just use it in my QT tank, so I'd probably just repalce it everytime I got a new fish just to be safe.

That's not a bad idea especially if you are not buying livestock all the time and don't really tend to the QT as much.

Back
Top Bottom