QT tanks and Cupramine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ercfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Got a question, I have been using cupramine in my QT tank, and the problem is with the frequent water changes (every other day or so), I never seem to get the concentrations up. If I add cupramine, can I just wait an hour or so, test and add more as needed until I reach the right concentration? Is there a better way to treat fish with copper? TIA

Cupramine is supposed to be one of the best, but like any non-chealated form of copper, it will precipitate out of solution. Lots of folkfs use a chealated form of copper (Mardel's coppersafe) which stays in solution much longer.

Sorry, kinda worded my question in a goofy way. Cupramine's instructions say to put 1ml per 10.5 gallons on the first day, then wait 48 hours to add more up to a concentration of .5mg/L. Because I have been changing water on QT tank almost daily (nitrites spike up everyday it seems), I end up dilluting the solution before 48 hrs has passed. Can I just add it, testing before adding more until I get to the .5mg/L concentration? And after a water change, can I do the same to make sure tank has that concentration of copper for the full 14 days?

Back
Top Bottom