Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-30-2010, 09:37 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell0605 View Post
Same here. I just chuck them in. After careful acclimation. They don't carry diseases like ich that harm your fish though so there's no need to worry about your fish.
why do you acclimate your inverts? I bought two hermit crabs and they said to lay them on a paper towel for 10 minutes and then put them in the tank without accimlation.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:50 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

WHOA dont do that....drip acclimate just like a fish a coral. Anything they may carry is such a small chance seriously, unless your LFS's tank looks like do-do then i would put them in a QT or not buy them at all. Some inverts are so sensitive they cant even touch air at all i.e Starfish, Sea Cucumbers

Old 03-30-2010, 10:55 PM   #13
is back to save the day!

Snow has a point. Who told you to put them on a paper towel? I mean.. maybe a minute tops, just to observe them, or something like that. But 10 minutes sounds a little drastic. I would advise to keep them in water at all times. I've seen a lot of QT questions and answers, and i've never seen anything like putting them on paper towels.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:59 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

i would observe them during acclimation for the anemone problem they can have on there shell, but i wouldnt expose them to open air for any period of time, observe them in the bag. who did tell you this?
Old 03-30-2010, 11:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixisnowixi View Post
i would observe them during acclimation for the anemone problem they can have on there shell, but i wouldnt expose them to open air for any period of time, observe them in the bag. who did tell you this?
A guy who works at my LFS store, he told me to do the same with the mushroom coral. I thought it odd, but they have always been right about everything and have a very healthy stock of fish and coral.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:13 PM   #16
is back to save the day!

Holy.. Please, PLEASE do not do that with any of your livestock. ESPECIALLY the mushroom coral. I would never keep any of my coral out of water for more than 30 seconds.. heck.. even less. Gluing the coral to attach it to a rock only takes 10 seconds at best than back in the water it goes.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
Holy.. Please, PLEASE do not do that with any of your livestock. ESPECIALLY the mushroom coral. I would never keep any of my coral out of water for more than 30 seconds.. heck.. even less. Gluing the coral to attach it to a rock only takes 10 seconds at best than back in the water it goes.

well...this may explain why my mushroom coral isn't doing so well.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:19 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

lol, your first mistake was listening to the LFS empolyee. You need to let the employee earn your trust. Maybe let them give you advice and then check it on here and see if it right. If they consistantly give u good info then there you go.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:24 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etunes View Post
lol, your first mistake was listening to the LFS empolyee. You need to let the employee earn your trust. Maybe let them give you advice and then check it on here and see if it right. If they consistantly give u good info then there you go.

yea I see that now. its a family owned buisness and the employee that told me that is the guy I've gone to for everything and everythings hes said has been right or helpful...except that part. I'm going in tomorrow and while I'm there I'll ask about that. This was before I signed up here.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:52 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

well u are learning and that is the important part.

Tags
inverts

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com