Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-29-2013, 04:03 AM   #41
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrasse326 View Post
Why not quarantine these? Wont they bring ich into your DT if you dont?
They are very very hardy fish due to their thick slime coat and ich cannot easily penetrate it. Angels and tangs are complete opposite. Now, would it be good to QT all fish? Absolutely.

The best way to do it in a QT is to put live sand in tupperware for a leopard wrasse to sleep in or for a diamond goby to sift. Putting a fish like that in a bare bottom tank is in my opinion cruel. I have seen diamond gobies and leopard wrasses in BB tanks at a fish store. You know what they look like? Sick and depressed. A sand burrowing wrasse can actually damage its mouth in a BB tank and that will cause more harm than good.

Back to my reasoning... If you treat fish preventively with medicine like I do, that live sand cannot be put back in the DT. Even if no treatment is done I would still not put the sand back and just get rid of it. That's a lot of sand to throw away every time you add a goby or a wrasse. Might it be worth the expense? Many might say yes but I don't think so. My reasoning is based on personal experience, talking to LFS owners (yes plural) and online research.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:12 AM   #42
Aquarium Advice FINatic

To clarify, if I lived in a remote part of the country and were buying fish online I would absolutely QT any and all species due to unknown conditions of water from which the fish is coming as well as stress of transportation. I am lucky enough to live in a metropolitan that has some really reputable fish stores. One of them, Vivid Aquariums, QTs fish before selling it to its customers. Another store I go to puts dates on tags so you can tell how long the fish has been in the store. I buy ones that have been there 2-6 weeks. So, I do take a lot of precautionary steps before buying fish.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:53 AM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

I QT everything fish corals inverts you name it. Hell even my hands get a close look before going into my tank

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:37 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaClown View Post
They are very very hardy fish due to their thick slime coat and ich cannot easily penetrate it. Angels and tangs are complete opposite. Now, would it be good to QT all fish? Absolutely.

The best way to do it in a QT is to put live sand in tupperware for a leopard wrasse to sleep in or for a diamond goby to sift. Putting a fish like that in a bare bottom tank is in my opinion cruel. I have seen diamond gobies and leopard wrasses in BB tanks at a fish store. You know what they look like? Sick and depressed. A sand burrowing wrasse can actually damage its mouth in a BB tank and that will cause more harm than good.

Back to my reasoning... If you treat fish preventively with medicine like I do, that live sand cannot be put back in the DT. Even if no treatment is done I would still not put the sand back and just get rid of it. That's a lot of sand to throw away every time you add a goby or a wrasse. Might it be worth the expense? Many might say yes but I don't think so. My reasoning is based on personal experience, talking to LFS owners (yes plural) and online research.
I don't have really reputable places. Had one that used to be good but the last time I was there it looked like all the fish were sick. Only stores here that have saltwater fish have ick. So after leaving my tank empty for 12 weeks to get rid of ick I'm going to quarantine everything for 4 weeks at least. If I do quarantine wrasses and gobys do I just not treat with copper? And couldn't I just leave the sand in there instead of throwing it away? Also do hawkfish go in this category also? Have an arch eye waiting in another tank to be
reated with my other 3 fish once I'm done treating my current 3 fish. My quarantine tank is a 37 gallon
Old 10-29-2013, 08:23 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fresh water fish get ich too. IME copper is the best way to kill ich BUT you must do it in a QT tank. The tank can never be used to house inverts or coral as the silicone can hold and release it into the system. I QT my coral in a rubber maid tub You can leave the sand in the QT (tupperware bowl) just rinse it when your done with any QT.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Freak

How big of PVC should I use for a 3" PBT in my Q-Tank
Old 10-29-2013, 08:32 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
Fresh water fish get ich too. IME copper is the best way to kill ich BUT you must do it in a QT tank. The tank can never be used to house inverts or coral as the silicone can hold and release it into the system. I QT my coral in a rubber maid tub You can leave the sand in the QT (tupperware bowl) just rinse it when your done with any QT.
Why QT coral? Wont they stress without proper lighting?
Old 10-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshann14 View Post
How big of PVC should I use for a 3" PBT in my Q-Tank
I use 4 inch fittings in my tank

Old 10-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman007 View Post
Why QT coral? Wont they stress without proper lighting?
I brought red bugs into my system once, never again I use my old 4 bulb T5 over my QT tank most coral are QT'ed for 2 weeks fish 4 weeks unless they show signs of something

Old 10-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post

I brought red bugs into my system once, never again I use my old 4 bulb T5 over my QT tank most coral are QT'ed for 2 weeks fish 4 weeks unless they show signs of something
One Q, what are red bugs?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com