Quarantine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwan

Aquarium Advice Freak
From now on I'll QT any new fish before introducing into my display tank. I have read many articles on the subject, but they vary from leaving the fish in a QT with water parameters close to the display tank to applying copper in the QT for preventive measure.

Can someone clarify what is the best way to QT? Should I add cupramine in my QT as a preventive measure?

Don't add copper until you have a reason IMO. I have some fish in my QT at the moment that I think possibly have ich, but until I see more evidence than one little white spec on one fin I am not going to stress them out with copper.

Not to mention...some fish cant handle copper. A scaleless fish in copper wont do well.

I am more interested in QT new fish before introducing them to the display tank. So I guess I should just QT any new fish in similar water parameters as the display tank for 3 weeks. And if there is no syptom of any diesease then I can introduce them into the display tank. Otherwise, I'll apply the necessary medication, right?

The only prophylactic measure I would take would be to treat all new fish with hyposalinity (not too stressful and will remove any ick before they get to the main tank) and for new wild caught clowns I would treat with formalin.

Back
Top Bottom