Quarantine and acclimation for coral & inverts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mskohl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This may seem like a really ignorant question, but I took someone's word for a "no need to quarantine" fish, and had a scare, so I don't want to do that again.
Do I need to do some sort of quarantine on a coral or an invertebrate before introducing into main tank? Do they carry bad things?

My acclimation procedures depend on the source can I continue with these or is there a special way to acclimate these?

Do they ship well for purchase via internet?

Thanks again.
Stephanie

Corals and inverts do not need to be QT. They do require a careful and slow acclimation. I prefer to use the drip method. When introducing the animal into the main tank, do not let the water from the LFS or acclimation get into your tank.

Not to dispute Lando's advice, but from now on, I qt everything wet. Ich can become encrusted on the rock that the coral is attached to and release bck into the tank. If you have a qt set up with proper lighting, and the water parimeters are good, qt coral and inverts. I am not taking any chances at all...

i had ich after adding more live rock, my fish had it before but there was no sign of it for months then i added more rock and within a week my blue tang had the dreaded white spots. Generally i dont think corals carry ich but there is still that chance

Corals do not carry it, but the rock that most corals attach to can have in encysted on it.

I would say the likelyhood that ich could stay alive in an environment without fish for the entire time until it gets from the LFS to you is impossible, that is unless your store keeps fish in the coral tank. Ich needs fish to survive. Ask how long the coral has been in the tank at the store, ask them to hold it for you with a deposit until at least 30 days have been up. I work in a fish store and thats just my personal opinion.

Alot of fish stores have all their tanks on the same water system. Dumb? Yes. Easier? Yes. If you know that the corals have been in a fishless environment, then you are good.

Back
Top Bottom