Quarantine corals???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alco1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all,

Successfully setup my fish only tank and now looking at the next step... moving into corals.

Just wanting to know if every coral I purchase should be quarantined first or can I put them straight in the tank?

And if it's recommended to quarantine, what's worst case scenario if I put the corals straight in the tank?

Thank all,

Hey all,

Successfully setup my fish only tank and now looking at the next step... moving into corals.

Just wanting to know if every coral I purchase should be quarantined first or can I put them straight in the tank?

And if it's recommended to quarantine, what's worst case scenario if I put the corals straight in the tank?

Thank all,

Not many people quarantine corals just due to the lighting required. However you can if you want but I never have. I just give them all a nice dip in a coral dip product and have never had a pest problem. Some coral pests you can get from not dipping them are nudibranchs, acro eating flatworms, red bugs, etc

ok cool thanks for that, sounds like nothing huge with corals compared to fish diseases. I'll dip them in coral pest products and save the trouble with a QT

ok cool thanks for that, sounds like nothing huge with corals compared to fish diseases. I'll dip them in coral pest products and save the trouble with a QT

Lol some of those don't sound bad but they can wipe out colonies in a day if unattended to. However, the ones I mentioned are mainly sps pests and since you are just starting I doubt you will have any sps for a while

Its amazing what comes in on your coral. I dip mine before adding to the tank and when I remove the coral from the dip I'm usally left with hundreds of dead things in the bottom of the bowl. Some are cool thinks like little star fish but others are bad things like flatworms. I once dipped a coral and so many flatworms died that they turned the bowl water a different color as they released their toxins.

Dipping is a great idea IMO.

Back
Top Bottom