Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-10-2013, 01:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

quarantine help.

My tank ended up getting ich. My tang died. So I decided to quarantine my fish. This was my first attempt at hypo treatment. I read about it went by a quide to decrease salinity down over a 6 to 7 day period and hold it steady for 6 weeks. I bought a refractometer from amazon calibrated it and was ready to do. I did a 40 gal water change on my 125. I used the water from the water change for the water in my quarantine tank. Had my hob filter, air pump heater ready and running. Everything was good until I got my salinty to 1.009. Then my fish started dieing. Now that I think about it my fish in the quaratine tank had now ich visually. They were clowns and chromis. Should I have hypo them? Also when buying new fish and quaratine them, should I do treatment even if DONT see any signs of ich? Just asking because in my research of this I happen to never see a comment about this. Its usually quaratine your fish for 6 weeks if they show now signs put them in your tank. These fish were not treated so they could possibly be a carrier of ich but just not a noticeable amout, right? Please help me on this one guys because its somwthing I need an answer to. Thanks everyone.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

First let me say that I'm sorry that you loose your tang and other fish. If you use the water from DT to your QT, a copper treatment should be the right option after a fresh water bath. Some parasites can survive the hypo salinity. If it's just the regular ich they should be slowly erradicated in your QT.
To answer your question about new fish, they have to be observed first in QT and treat them only when a sign of parasites appears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok thanks. But over the 6 weeks on quarantine and the new fish show no sign of ich, what are the chances that they could have it? Would it be pretty slim?
Old 09-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The 6 weeks is just the length of the ich cycle. Some extend it for another week just to be more safe.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok. Thanks agains. If I end up getting ich on a fish while in the quarantine what treatment should I use? I heard copper can be really bad on a fish, but taking the salinity down isnt probably healthy either.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

If I remember correctly the hypo salinity is 1.0056. What is yours? Marine Velvet can survive it. I used copper and I did not find any problem. You can not do both at the same time since the stress would add up.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just so you know ich will only get out of hand if any of your fish gets stressed out. As long as you keep your fish healthy and comfortable, even there is ich in DT you won't notice it because they get immune to it.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh I thought you only went down to 1.009. Thats where I am now and I had a couple fish die. It took me a week to get there, and my clownfish died and chromis. I have only one chromis left. I didnt use copper during hypo. I guess I did it to quick.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for the link as well.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com