Quarantine question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bioteacher

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, this might be a basic question, but I am relatively new to the hobby. I know the rules about quarantine for fish, but what about inverts? I am particularly interested in the answer to this question with regard to peppermint shrimp. I am dealing with an Aiptasia problem and I want to get 10-12 peppermints in there as biological control. Do I need to quarantine the shrimp?

Also interested in rules procedure for quarantining other inverts like corals and anemones if you have any experience with that.

No, no quarantine needed for inverts\anemones or corals. Some folks dip corals to remove any parasites; but not necessary.

Wow 10 peppermints i had 1 and he took care of it in like 3ish days and my prob was bad but its a 37g how bigs yours?

Sharklover said:
Wow 10 peppermints i had 1 and he took care of it in like 3ish days and my prob was bad but its a 37g how bigs yours?

I have 125 gal. The guy as the lfs suggested 10-12 peppermints. I hope it's not overkill. I have 2 brittle stars and a what I think is a reef lobster. Also a 4-5 inch maroon clown. Anyone see any compatability issues?

So far lemon juice in a syringe has worked pretty well but it is a constant battle and a lot of wet arm pits. Also, I can't get in between the nooks and crannies of the live rock chunks. Hopefully, these pepps will make my life easier.

Our one Peppermint has certainly done the job.
Although you won't need to QT like with fish, you want to be careful you don't bring ANY of their water into your tank.
Drip acclimate, then net transfer to a separate container of just your tank water. Then after a bit net transfer to the tank. Sounds OCD until you've been burned & learned.

- D

don_chuwish said:
Our one Peppermint has certainly done the job.
Although you won't need to QT like with fish, you want to be careful you don't bring ANY of their water into your tank.
Drip acclimate, then net transfer to a separate container of just your tank water. Then after a bit net transfer to the tank. Sounds OCD until you've been burned & learned.

- D

Thanks, that is really helpful. So, you only have 1 peppermint. How big is your tank?

Here's another question. Do the peppermint shrimp actively climb in/around/up the live rock, or do they just hang around the sand bed?

Only 36G. No more aiptasia to eat so it makes due with food scraps. Quite the thief actually - will steal stuff right out of a polyp's mouth.

- D

Get like 3 the lfs just wants you to buy more 10 would be enough for like a 600 gallon imo

Back
Top Bottom