Quarantine questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

six2sevenproductions

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well to make a long story long. I cant seem to keep new fish from getting ich. I have a 50 gallon reef with fish that include yellow tang, clownfish, two damsel (have never shown signs of aggression), cleaner shrimp, diamond goby, 4 large turbo snails, and assorted night time critters.

Now the tang had ich one time and fully recovered in qt. He has never gotten ich again. My dream fish is a PB tang. I have had two attempts at adding a power blue tang both with the same result. I know a pb tang requires a large tank but i have a deal with the lfs store that he will buy it back from me when it grows as long as its healthy. I just want to be able to have one even if its only a little while.

After purchasing, qt, and adding to display tank 6 weeks after ich was gone(hypo salinity treatment) it got ich after two weeks of being in the main tank. I removed it and repeated the quarantine process, same result after adding to display tank the second time. My tank was and still is 0 for ammonia, nitrates and nitrite, calcium is 420, ph 8.2, 8dkh, salinity is usually 1.023 adding ro/di every day and weekly 10% water changes.

I was reading that although i am continuing to quarantine the fish, the tank itself might be infected and i should remove all fish into qt. I plan on doing this next month when i upgrade to a 75g. I will remove and qt fish, swap all live rock and old water, then add all fish little by little when ready. Which brings me back to the subject, when i qt all the fish, this qt tank is to be set up in my office at work to keep a closer eye. I know a bare bottom is advised but i would like it to look nice so i want to know if it is a real problem using a substrate.i would like to add new fish in the future, once all my fish are out.

The problem is that a tang can not make it in a 50 gallon tank. Esp. a powder blue tang. It must have at least a 125 gallon (6 ft tank) to survive. What happens is that if a fish is in a too small of a tank then it lowers the immune system on the fish thus allowing parasites and disease to have free reign on the fish. Here is a question I posed to an expert we had on here awhile back. The answer is quite true.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f45/yellow-tang-in-a-55g-52207.html

i have kept powder blue tangs in large tanks and have had aggression problems with them. i don't think you are going to be happy with one in a 75, unless it's the only fish.
in the 150 at the gym, the pb sometimes fights the other fish over food, or territory.
while i always say it's up to the individual fish, i think the odds are against you.
the one i have in the gym tank is probably 2.5-3" tops.

I think you guys are more than right. Thanks for the article by the way. I was not planning on attempting the powder blue in the new 75g tank. Maybe sometime in the future because i know this next tank wont be the last. Although i think i know a lot of the basics, i still KNOW i have a lot to learn.

Ok so the PB tang is out of my mind and substrate in a QT tank is out too.
Since ich will be forever in my tank no matter how long I QT new fish please let me know if this can solve this problems.

Remove all fish into QT, treating with hyposalinity for 6-8 weeks.
Transfer live rock and most water to new 75g tank while adding new aragonite substrate (dry not that store shelved live sand)
Let the new tank sit for 8 weeks as well while the fish are in qt.
Then add fish to new tank.

Back
Top Bottom