Quarantine questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

milmokes

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have some questions about a quarantine tank and yes I have read the article.
1. Should I add from the display tank before or after a water change?
2. Keeping the fish in there for 3 weeks. Should I do water changes?
3. If my fish is to big for this tank size, does this cause him any harm being in there?
4. Should I do this for anemones as well? I would have to buy lighting for the quarantine for it to survive, yes?

From the main is best,
4 weeks would be better for new arrivals, if they stay clean. If you need to treat for a parasitic outbreak or another ailment you would keep them there for 3-4 weeks AFTER the treatment is complete. You also need to monitor the water quality, especially the ammonia and nitrite daily or every other day and do small water changes (20% or so) to keep the the quality high.
3. If my fish is to big for this tank size, does this cause him any harm being in there?
If the fish is too big for the tank, the water quality will go downhill faster and may cause the fish problems, or at the very least force you to do more and larger water changes.

Doesn't matter. I would do it as part of a water change (I guess that means before :) )

YES. You need to monitor your water quality daily due to the smaller size and a 10% daily water change wouldn't hurt. If yor using the QT to cure then you also need to carefully monitor the medication concentrations too.

milmokes said:
4. Should I do this for anemones as well? I would have to buy lighting for the quarantine for it to survive, yes?
Not a good option. They are far too sensitive to changes and water quality to hold up under these kinds of conditions/transfers. Anemones cannot harbour fish parasites anyway, only the water in the bag might. Best suggestion is to only buy inverts from fishless systems. This will help ensure these types of animals do not contribute to fish ailments. Still not a guarantee but definately a good practice.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom