Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-22-2016, 10:53 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quarantine tank

Well today is a very sad day and I am left feeling confused and frustrated on what to do. I recently set up a quarantine tank and placed 10 anthias inside of it. I was going to keep them in it for 3 weeks then put them in the main display tank, well I Did a routine water change yesterday evening and when I woke up all of my fish were dead. I'm gonna get my water tested a little later after work but I'm just wondering what went wrong. I've done these same water changes for 2 weeks and everything had been fine. I'm using water from my display tank so I can't seem to figure out what i did wrong. Now I'm feeling super guilty, should I have not used squats time tank ? Should I have just put the anthias in the display tank . Or did I do the right thing and kept the fish in my display tank safe from what ever killed the anthias. I am at a loss for words and any advise right now would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 06-22-2016, 11:05 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcj0033 View Post
Well today is a very sad day and I am left feeling confused and frustrated on what to do. I recently set up a quarantine tank and placed 10 anthias inside of it. I was going to keep them in it for 3 weeks then put them in the main display tank, well I Did a routine water change yesterday evening and when I woke up all of my fish were dead. I'm gonna get my water tested a little later after work but I'm just wondering what went wrong. I've done these same water changes for 2 weeks and everything had been fine. I'm using water from my display tank so I can't seem to figure out what i did wrong. Now I'm feeling super guilty, should I have not used squats time tank ? Should I have just put the anthias in the display tank . Or did I do the right thing and kept the fish in my display tank safe from what ever killed the anthias. I am at a loss for words and any advise right now would be great.

heater off or stuck on?

how big is the quarantine tank? 10 fish is a lot to add to any tank at one time.
Were they purchased from a local store or online? if a local store check and see if they had any issues with the shipment that you got the fish from.
don't call and ask, go in and check for yourself.

one time I got a couple of firefish gobies and the tank had about 3 dozen of them in it. Within 24 hours they both started doing the "spinning swim" and shows signs of hemorrhaging or something in the gills, but not parasites.
I went back to the store with the dead fish, and the guy began to recite the policies and all that jazz. So I asked how the rest were doing and he said fine. I walk over to the tank and there were 3 left (doubt they sold 3 dozen in a day). I pointed at them and said "fine????, those will be dead by the end of the day." they were all doing the spinning swim.
Reluctantly they gave me credit for them and said it was a pecial circumstance and not to expect a refund in the future.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's a 30 gallon tank and the heater was off but the tank was about 76 so it wasn't that cold. I purchased them from a local fish store these were my first fish ever purchased from there but the issue in having is that I had them for 2 weeks already. So why all of a sudden did everyone literally die overnite ?

Old 06-22-2016, 11:15 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcj0033 View Post
It's a 30 gallon tank and the heater was off but the tank was about 76 so it wasn't that cold. I purchased them from a local fish store these were my first fish ever purchased from there but the issue in having is that I had them for 2 weeks already. So why all of a sudden did everyone literally die overnite ?

only things I can think of is drastic temp change, drastic water parameter change or poisoning/contamination of some type.
maybe stray voltage in the tank?
and they had no signs of problems prior to this?
Old 06-22-2016, 11:20 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Nope no signs I lithely changed the water about 5 pm went to bed about 11 and everyone was swimming and happy. Woke up this morning everyone was dead...

Tags
quarantine, quarantine tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com