Quarantine Tank - General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chromediggity

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just wanted to start a general discussion about a quarantine tank and the details. What does one put in it, equipment and stock? Where do you have yours? Obviously it's not where your show tank is but should I just keep it in a closet? Any input or random advice is appreciated. I've never had one up and running and I probably should have.

My QT tank sits in my shed with the filter , pump heater and light. The bio pad from the filter sits in my sump keeping the bacteria alive. Only other thing are some PVc pipe bits for hidey holes. I should keep those in the sump too, but I don't.

Ha. I'm in Canada.

I only set it up when I need it in the wife's craft room. Then when I'm done I clean everything really well and put it away. I even rinse and clean put the bio pad because I don't want any copper getting into my sump when I put it back for reactivating.

I have my quarantine tank next to my show tank. Although everyone says you don't need to add live sand and rocks I have them anyway to supplement my hanging filter. Fish fells at home with it and yes I add the PVC pipe too. I still have plans to add more fish in main tank and right now my Blue Yellow Tail Tang is recovering with a daily dose of coppersafe treatment for 2 weeks. He will be back to real home for may be another week. You will never know when any of your fish gets sick. The emergency room is always ready for them.

Back
Top Bottom