Quarantine Tank Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leafyseadragon

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just finished reading the article on quarantine, but there's one part which I'm looking for a little clarification on:

"Okay, we quarantined the fish and it's time to put it in the main tank. I do another acclimation to the display tank as described above, and put the fish in a clear plastic container in the main tank. This allows the ?old? fish to work out their aggression for their new tank mate without actually being able to harm him. I leave the new fish in the container for 2 days to a week depending on how the other fish react."

What kind of plastic container are we talking about, and how big is it? Is a gallon zip-lock bag too small? It seems to me that putting the fish in a tiny container in a big tank would stress it out if you leave him in there for a week.

What kind of plastic container are we talking about, and how big is it?

I used the small or med sized Lee's Critter Keepers. The small is about 4 X 3 X 4 and the med is about 8 X 6 X 8.

It seems to me that putting the fish in a tiny container in a big tank would stress it out if you leave him in there for a week.

Not as much as getting harrassed and beaten by a beligerant established fish ;)

Oh...the critter keepers are hard plastic, the tops are slotted and I drill holes in the sided for good waterflow. A zip lock bag would not work.

I use one of those plastic spagetti strainers that you can get at the dollar store. Pretty decent size and has holes drilled in it already.

Great idea jamal, thanks for the tip!

Just two follow-up questions:

1. Those plastic spaghetti strainers are the dome-shaped ones, right?
2. (Possibly stupid one) It seems to me they wouldn't float being porous and all. Do you attach it to the side of the tank somehow?

Back
Top Bottom