Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-09-2011, 04:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quarantine Tank Question????

Ok so I finally decided that the risk of losing my fish was too great and got a quarantine tank. I have a 10 gallon tank, a sponge filter (the sponge has been in my main tank wedged in between my live rock for a week), and a small heater. Is this all I need for a quarantine tank? And also, what decorations or hiding places do you use in your quarantine? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Ryan

-1 flame hawkfish
RYANLAWRENCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've been doing alot of research on this lately too (Working towards setting up my fist saltwater tank...for like the last month... I'm slow). QT tanks were on the top of my research list.

Alot of what I read suggests just using good sized PVC piping (And a bit of live rock), and not even worrying about substrate and such. Myself, I'm kind of planning a "mini-fOWLR" which will likely end up living in the middle of my dining room table. My logic here is A: I rent, and don't have alot of space and B: Means I can keep a close eye on the blighter I just bought so i can head things out. Basically, even my quarantine tanks are way underpopulated display tanks.

Esentially, it's about as decorated or undecorated as you like, though anything (Like live rock) you put into it might be destroyed by meds or anything else you have to do if things go wrong, but ten pounds of live rock is better than thirty, fifty, or a hundred (And that's ignoring the FISH, inverts, and everything the heck else.)

Old 04-09-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks yeah I didn't really want to put live rock in there because I knew it would get destroyed if I ever have to treat a fish. I didn't think about PVC though...that sounds pretty good. That would a a good place for a fish to hide. Did you happen to read anything about lighting?
-1 flame hawkfish
Old 04-10-2011, 03:21 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also what about water flow in the tank? Would you need a powerhead?
-1 flame hawkfish
Old 04-10-2011, 11:22 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was on the fence about QT's and then after a fish came down with flukes and died I was glad that it was in QT and didn't destroy the huge investment I have made in my DT.

As for QT you want it as simple as possible. My setup is a HOB bio wheel filter, heater and one or two pvc tubes for them to hide in. The conditions in the QT are really never going to match the DT so you want it as simple to clean and change water. I change the water every two days or three at the most.

Also I've found through some testing that adding IO's BioSpira really helps with the parameters. I know a lot of people don't believe in the "bacteria in the bottle" but I've tried with and without and found for me the "with" works better. As for flow, the filter should provide enough until the fish passes the QT period.

Also be aware that you do not want to cross contaminate. When ever doing work on both DT and QT I do the DT work first then the QT stuff. I never use the same hoses, buckets, etc. for both tanks.

Hope that helps...Steve
Old 04-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thank you that helps a lot. Is lighting necessary? Or would the lighting from the room be adequate while it is in quarantine?
-1 flame hawkfish
Old 04-10-2011, 03:10 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

As for lighting I think it is necessary but it doesn't have to be anything spectacular. I ended up buying a 10g kit on sale for $35.00 which came with a filter, canopy and the light built into it. I also painted the bottom, two sides and the back a deep blue so that it didn't see anything except through the front. Less stress during a stressful situation. Small things but all helping to ease the transition from LFS, to bag, to QT and eventually to DT.

Steve
Old 04-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

A great link on QT`s.

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:23 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks for adding that Mike. I was looking for it but couldn't find the link...I think you have it all now Ryan and are fully armed with the info...

Steve
Old 04-10-2011, 03:54 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thank you all that helps a lot. All i need now is a small powerhead and a small light of some sort. thanks again

Tags
quarantine, quarantine tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com