Quarantine Tank Set-up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

badfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I upgraded my QT to a 20, and got a Marineland Biowheel powerfilter (penguin 100, filters 100 GPH). I am preparing for the worst, because i think i might have the ich. Havent seen any spots yet, but my tang is flashing. Im gonna run the biowheel in my main tank starting today, should i remove the Carbon Insert? How long for the filter to have enough biological build up in case i do have to QT?

TIA.

- Jeff

two more quick questions, the filter doesnt fit on my 50 gallon tank.
1 - can i just put the sponge in my protein skimmer (BakPak 2, or maybe in the main tank.
2 - Carbon is built into the sponge, can i just rip the sponge to take the carbon out, or do i need a different sponge?

Thanks Again,

- Jeff

badfish said:
Im gonna run the biowheel in my main tank starting today, should i remove the Carbon Insert?
Only if you plan on treating with copper. If you choose hyposalinity it can stay. I would suggest a polyfilter over the carbon pad though, it will help remove nitrogens.

How long for the filter to have enough biological build up in case i do have to QT?
The longer the better. Two weeks being optimum, seven days minimum.

Cheers
Steve

Steve,

I most likely will treat with copper, it seems like the easier thing to do for a newbie. Can i put the pad in my skimmer for now since the filter does not fit on my 50 gallon. I took your advice and upgraded to a 20 gallon. Still no white spots but still flashing so i am keeping a close eye on all my fish. Any ideas on good brand names of the copper treatment? If i just put the pad in my return, will that be sufficient to build up the biological material, or does the filter need to be running?

Thanks again.

- Jeff

If your going to treat with copper, I'd suggest Seachem's Cupramine with corresponding multi-test copper kit. If available I would get the ammonia alert badge as well. Cupramine is an amine based copper and can fool Salicylate test kits giving you false possitive ammonia readings.

You can add the sponge to the skimmer but be sure it does not get in front of the out port in any way or you'll have a flood. If you left the biobale in, cram it bewteen that and the outward wall of the skimmer. Be sure it's a simple filter pad/sponge. No polyfilter or carbon.

Cheers
Steve

steve,

the sponge that came with the biowheel is all in one, prefilter screen, carbon in the middle and sponge on the outside. Where can i pick up the proper sponge? Pet store, or food store? Any brands of sponges, or type of sponge to use?

my skimmer did have a biobale, but i did take it out, Can i use part of the biobale in the biowheel filter in place of the sponge?

well, i ripped off the sponge (the wooly part) and put my biobale back in my skiimer for the time being to keep the sponge in place. I also was able to hook up the filter so the biowheel also gets some buildup on it. Hopefully, i wont need to use them anytime soon, but if i do, hopefully the sponge and biowheel has good enough bacteria. How long will fish live with the ick? Only because you said 1-2 weeks to get good build up. what should i do if signs show up in two to three days?

Thanks again,

- Jeff

badfish said:
my skimmer did have a biobale, but i did take it out, Can i use part of the biobale in the biowheel filter in place of the sponge?
As long as the bale was still part of the operational skimmer, yes it would have been fine. Otherwise it would need to be reseeded first.

badfish said:
well, i ripped off the sponge (the wooly part) and put my biobale back in my skiimer for the time being to keep the sponge in place. I also was able to hook up the filter so the biowheel also gets some buildup on it. Hopefully, i wont need to use them anytime soon, but if i do, hopefully the sponge and biowheel has good enough bacteria.
The biowheel would have actually been enough if it had been on the main for a few weeks. Since you have nothing else, do what you suggested for as long as possible and then transfer over to the QT.

How long will fish live with the ick? Only because you said 1-2 weeks to get good build up. what should i do if signs show up in two to three days?
Under ideal conditions a fish can "live with" the parasite for a few weeks. It really comes down to the health of the fish and quality of environemnt. More often than not, the infestation will come back in greater number at each life cycle so don't rely on that. You usually don't have that much time , a week at most once a full blown infestation is realized so do not wait for the HOB biowheel to become seeded. If the fish need treating, transfer them and start the Cupramine treatment. You'll need to be sure you have some SW made up ahead of time for water changes to control ammonia/nitrite/nitrate. Be sure to test the ammonia and nitrite 2x daily if possible. It can jump unexpectedly. Also be sure the copper is tested daily to be sure the 0.5 ppm level is properly maintained. It takes two days to introduce the Cupramine so take that into account as well.

Be absolutely sure that nothing from the QT goes back to the main. If the HOB needs reseeding again in future, toss the old wheel attachment and buy a replacement. Drop it in the skimmer housing for a few weeks to seed it.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks again steve,

i dont think i have it yet, i havent seen my tang flash in a while, and dont currently see any spots on any of my fish. Im gonna keep my sponge and biobale in the skimmer just in case. You said i can just put the wheel in the skimmer as well? That would be good because that filter is loud, and the water falling is pretty annoying.

Thanks again,

- Jeff

The more water that flows over the media the better off you will be. The skimmer has a decent amount as well as nutrient to feed bacteria.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom