Quarantine tanks...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QT tank expeirence

• YES you NEED ONE

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • REALLY good idea to have

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • not really important..

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • USED ONE: dont regret it

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • USED ONE: not worth it

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • DIDNT USE ONE: everything got sick

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters

partypalooza5

Aquarium Advice Addict
What are your experiences? I'm pretty sure the "better safe than sorry" principle comes into play. Also, is 10G a good size for a QT tank? (Yes this is for SW)

well i dont know about sw. though a qt will depend on what you keep. i have 40 and 60 gallon qt. i know others with 100-200 gallon qt.

I would also like to know if you keep them set up or do you pull them out when you need them? If you keep them set up, how do you keep them cycled?

You would have to keep the filter media from the QT somewhere in your main tank to keep the beneficial bacteria on it so that when you set your QT back up it`s ready to go.

Wow you guys responded within like 5 seconds O__o

xD

and i was also going to ask what spoonman asked.

dang this site is good!

I would also like to know if you keep them set up or do you pull them out when you need them? If you keep them set up, how do you keep them cycled?
for fw i keep mine empty. once i need it i have filters on other tanks i move over. i keep it bare bottom to make it easy to clean.

We have one of each (FW & SW) at the ready. They are only run when need be and we either move media or rock rubble.

Thats what I thought. I just had to use mine for the first time. The fish unfortunately didnt make it. I just tore it down and cleaned it with water/bleach, stored it in the garage and threw away the media. Then I cleaned the HOB, put in new media and started it up in one of my main tanks to get bacteria started on it for when I need it again. I assume I am doing this right?

My QT is actually my sump when I have a new or sick tankmate I flip the T valve and the main line goes to the Wet/dry and the sump becomes a seperate entity, it even has its own HOB filter.

I have two QT's . One I stock with LR and use as a well fish Acclimation tank and one bare bottom for sick fish which I set up as needed. Both are 10g. I don't keep hugh fish and I think a small QT helps to keep the fish from injuring itself.

pics r in my profile, plumbing is behind tank and its pretty cramped so I drew a diagram to simplify. I just finished this last week and so far it works pretty well. Im proud of it anyway.

Jess, how is the coral beauty doing in your tank? Does it bother your Zoas,rooms any?

first off Jessicas Marine. Im the marine.lol My CB is great he doesn't bother anyone or anything. He just picks at the filamentous algae on the rocks.

Well, first off..."Thank you for your service!" That's great to hear that the CB is working out. I passed on one a month ago because I did not want to chance it....No Guts, No Glory...;)
Again thanks for your service and be safe.

Back
Top Bottom