Quarantine tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adamski

Aquarium Advice Freak
What's the best way to set up a quarantine tank? Do I have to keep it running even when empty?

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

easiest way is to add a sponge filter to your main tank and run that constantly. When it comes time to use the hospital tank, you just move that sponge filter into the hospital tank with a heater...instantly cycled and ready to go.

easiest way is to add a sponge filter to your main tank and run that constantly. When it comes time to use the hospital tank, you just move that sponge filter into the hospital tank with a heater...instantly cycled and ready to go.

Untrue. Hyposalinity and copper based medications will nuke any beneficial bacteria coming in...or at all for that matter. Hospital and QT tanks can be run with filtration, but water changes will need to be done to keep the parameters in check.

Untrue. Hyposalinity and copper based medications will nuke any beneficial bacteria coming in...or at all for that matter. Hospital and QT tanks can be run with filtration, but water changes will need to be done to keep the parameters in check.

wow i was in salt water, sorry guys. Anyways I didn't mean after medicating the tank, and no where did I say water changes weren't needed. Any quarantine tank you should be changing water more frequently

Is there a minimum size? I'm pretty limited for space so was hoping for a 10 gallon. I only aim to add 3-5 slowly and some corals

Size should kinda be based on what fish you plan to get. A 10g can work for a lot, but if you end up with a larger fish, it might not be enough. I'd go 20g minimum unless you are looking at all small fish.

I've only got a 40 so there will be nothing large at all. I read that I should use a HOB filter and with a foam from my current set up. Is that right?

First, I'd do a coral dip instead of quarantine for the corals. 5 minute dip and straight into the tank.
As for filtration, that depends on whether its a proper quarantine tank or a medicated hospital tank.

I run a true QT which is nothing more than a second display tank. I use a HOB refugium/ skimmer combo and add some rocks and macro algae from my sump to the QT tank. I just throw the algae in there. I have a bio pad I keep in my sump for future use which I put in the QT refugium. With that I have no issue with nitrogens and a small weekly WC is all that is needed.
After its served its purpose I clean the rocks and dry them outside for a few months before they go back into the sump. The bio pad gets cleaned and rinsed in hot hot water then washed in peroxide before it to gets dried for a couple weeks. Then back into the sump to 'cure' (build up bacteria) for its next run in the qt.

Perfect. That makes sense thanks

Back
Top Bottom