Quarentine of Mandarin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

macman7010

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am getting a Manadrin Blenny today from Live Aquaria and was wondering what quarentine procedures I should follow with it. I like to quarentine all my fish under a mild copper solution for a minumum of 2 weeks, but I am concerned that this will hurt the Blenny since they only eat Co-pods and other creatures that live on live rock, and there is no live rock in my Q-T.

Should I shorten the Q-T of the blenny to only last a few days at most? Or not quarentine it at all? I think in my main tank it will get plenty of food since I have over 50 pds of live rock (1pd for each gallon) and a refugium full of pods.

if it means anything to you, mandarines supposedly do not get ick because of their slime coating.............

I had the same questions as you. Many told me not to qt and I did not. I never had a problem at all. I say skip the qt. :wink:

I've also read not to QT mandarins because if the fish doesn't eat prepared foods...you know the rest

I would not QT a Mandarine because they live off pods. I would put her in the main tank straight away. I have one, she had no problems.

I saw some spots on her that I thought were ick, but it turned out to be sand. If you see white spots, its most likely just sand. As a shovel head, they tend to get sand on their bodies and the slime coat helps it to stick.

Edit: Also if you are really worried about ick, just mix some garlic into your fish food (let is soak before feeding). It is a natural ick fighter. Something about ick does not like the way it smells when the fish eat it.

Would at least consider a PH and temp adjusted FW dip before placing in the main. Could not hurt.

The one's I see usually have sand stuck them so don't worry if you see that. The extra slime coat dragonettes carry protect them from ich so you'll be safe on that. As well as pods are their main diet so get it into the main tank as soon as possible.

The extra slime coat dragonettes carry protect them from ich so you'll be safe on that
Yes thats true to a certain extent. But they can still be carriers. A dip would be beneficial.

Back
Top Bottom