Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-21-2009, 06:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Quarentine tank going good

Hello all! On Thursday I had to set up a quarentine for my two tangs because the were getting ich. So I went to the fish store by me and asked what whould I need because I didn't set one up yet. So the store said I could use a big tote or tub like thing so I wouldn't have to spend so much money for a tank. I also needed to buy a sponge filter and heater. So to treat the two tangs I needed some copper chemical to kill the ich or something velvet disease on the fish. So I bought that too and went home to set it up. I got a big tote or tub like thing and filled it with some of my tank water. Then I added more water from the sink. I cured the water.Then I added it slowly along with the tangs. They caught the ich from my clowns who didn't make it. So I added water to my tank after I set up the quarentine to fill it back up. My puffer and trigger are in the tank by themselves because they seem to not have the ich. I am keeping an eye on them though. So the fish store told me not to feed them right away and to wait a couple days. So I decided I would tried tonight. I tried a little bit of mysis but they didn't eat it. So I decided to put a little seaweed in to see if the would eat that. Then I could tell by that way anyways. They are eating that though. I saw them picking at it. So far they are doing good. I am using the copper and It's working. I am hoping they will be okay in 3 to 4 weeks so they can go back in the main tank. I hope that the puffer and trigger won't get it so they have to go in but they seem okay. The tangs are looking good too. So far so good! Oh, Sorry for such a long post guys!

Marinefishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Watch you ammonia levels in that qt. 2 tangs in a "fresh" qt can foul the water real quick. You are going to need to qt your other fish as well. They were exposed and can/will be carrying the parasite.
Have lots of premixed water ready. You may have to be doing lots of water changes if the ammonia starts rising. Also, are you testing your copper levels? If you are not at the proper dosage, it can be ineffective or lethal.

125g reef
See My Tank Info
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:42 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
Yeah I know I will watch it. I will have water ready because I might change it soon. I am Going to use it for other fish too. I think after they are better and can go in, I will clean it good. Yeah I will check it. I am using the right dosage though.
Marinefishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:05 AM   #4
Thanx but no.....

You think who ? 'are better and can go in' go in where ?
What are you using to test the copper concentration?
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:55 PM   #5
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
If it was me I would QT all the fish. As long as there is a fish host in the tank then the parasite will always be there. QT all fish and leave main tank empty for 6-8 weeks. Otherwise when you treat these and then put them back in and treat the others then your tangs will get it again.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com