Quarentine tank question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keith A.

Aquarium Advice Activist
Do you guys keep your quarentine tank set up and going even if you don't have any sick fish or do disassemble it after you use it and set it back up again if you need it? Just curious.

Keith

i keep filter media in my sump so it's ready to go when needed. Then I setup the QT, add the filter media to a HOB filter and off to the races

Thanks for the article. I guess maybe another, more specific question(s) would be would the water "go bad" over time if it isn't used? What is the possibility of some things growing in the tank that could be harmful to the fish when it is not in use? Would I still need to clean it and the equiptment in it (filter, powerhead, etc.) if its not in use?

Keith

Well, all in all, if the tank is running, and you continue to feed the bacteria in that tank, it will still be good to use and wont go bad. But as any saltwater tank.. that is established, it will grow all of the things that a normal saltwater tank will. Algae, blah blah blah. Just think of it this way.. if you keep it running, and the bacteria stays alive.. it's going to be the same thing as your main tank right now, minus the livestock. So clean it as you would clean your main tank.

Alright. I'll give it more thought. I just thought it would be nice to have a QT ready if a fish got sick instead of having to set the thing up every time.

That's a good idea to me. But it would still be just as easy, if not easier, to run a HOB filter on your sump, and when the time comes, you just fill the QT tank up with water, and it's ready to go. But hey, its all personal pref anyways. The fact that you are even setting up a QT, means that you are responsible, dedicated to your fish, and know exactly what you're doing. Keep Going! Salties FTW!!

Back
Top Bottom