Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acw90

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have two perculas in my 29 lately after my most recent water change they have been acting really sure not sure if its normal or if they are sick my water perams are fine I just have no idea... I have noticed that I have an unwanted visitor (mantis shrimp) but he must have come with the live rock I bought the clowns with... I should also mention I have had the clowns a little over a month and I believe my tanks been running around 7 months now ill attach a video and pics if I can

Any help would be appreciated these guys are great and I can't let anything happen to them

You think so I worry quite often about my fish its the first year I've been an educated fish owner. And I'm terrified that something can lose its life to my ignorance... It seems like the male is floating at the top vertically and the female will not leave that spot on the sand bed she was hiding in a hole for a while before the reason I think it's wired is that both would swim all over the tank before... And there breathing seems a bit labored there tank mates (blue and three stripe damsel) seem fine tonight... Though this morning the three stripe was on the sand bed next to the clown? I dunno I just am really worried about these guys

Can't see the video or pics but if they appear to be having breathing issues, how are you oxygenating the water in the tank?

Poor little clowns they can't breath cause you don't have enough oxygen in your tank. You have to have a power head pointed upward to agitate water surface. How old is your tank and how many power heads do your have?

I dont believe its oxygen thats causing it. If it was they would all be t the top, where the water is better oxygenated. Test everything, and i mean everything, and let us know what the levels are. It doesnt matter how minor it may seem or if you think you know a certain level is "ok". The only way we can truly help and possibly help you save your fish, is if we know every single aspect of the problem

I dont believe its oxygen thats causing it. If it was they would all be t the top, where the water is better oxygenated. Test everything, and i mean everything, and let us know what the levels are. It doesnt matter how minor it may seem or if you think you know a certain level is "ok". The only way we can truly help and possibly help you save your fish, is if we know every single aspect of the problem
No water circulation, no surface agitation, unstable temp due to no circulation. What do you think will be the result?

Thanks all for the responses... i think i found my solution, see i went a little longer than i would have liked on my water change this month do to my dog broke his leg and had to have surgery and everything else that could make me go broke in july happened... so my water change was about 15 days late also i had my fiancees fried over and they liked feeding the fish and i believe that they were over feeding them.. anyway after i did they water change and worked the sand for left overs and waste the water was still quite murky i figured it was just the sand and let it go for another week... this is when there problem started... last night it had gotten really bad and i was starting to worry i couldnt find any information on what these strange symptoms were coming from so still having some salt left i did a 3 gallon water change (the remainder of the salt i had) and this morning there condition had improved (somewhat) anyway i went home on my lunch to check on them and the female had a whate fuzzy mucus around her body and her gills were inflamed and the male had little white spots on him, my blue damsel seems perfecty fine as does my three stripe.... so im guessng this may be a case of brooklynella ich... does this sound about acurate? If so what are the possible treatments can i treat them in tank? Will freshwater dips work? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated and thank you all again for the responses

Yes that is the symptom of parasites. I would get a small tank 5 gal minimum and treat them with copper. You must act asap otherwise they may not survive tomorrow. You can give them fresh water dip if they are still strong enough before QT cause adding more stress might just kill them. Get garlic X-treme to increase immune system of fish in DT. If they don't have similar symptom for 6 weeks then you should be okay. Others would prefer to fallow (no fish in DT) for 6 weeks.

I ran to the Lfs after work and they gave me a bitter of para guard they said to food the dosing instructions and add it directly to the tank they said it would be more forgiving than copper... Does this sound right?

Usually if something is more "forgiving" the. Another treatment, means its not as effective. (usually) as for the fw dips id stay away from them, only because it sounds as though your fish are already showig clear signs of hevy stress. Dipping them will likely escalate the issue

Unfortunately It was too late for my female but my male is still hanging in there I think if he pulls through tonight he should make it also I had another loss.... My three stipe was sitting next to a piece of live rock as I was watching the clowns and a mantis shrimp popped out of rock and got him right as I was watching. I have that piece of rock in a bucket of freshwater at the moment to extract the shrimp I didn't want to resort to killing him but I can never catch him and seeing him eat my fish was the last straw after all my crabs have been disappearing the past few monthsY

If he comes out tonight maybe I can set up a small tank and sell him tomorrow but otherwise he's toast

Unfortunately It was too late for my female but my male is still hanging in there I think if he pulls through tonight he should make it also I had another loss.... My three stipe was sitting next to a piece of live rock as I was watching the clowns and a mantis shrimp popped out of rock and got him right as I was watching. I have that piece of rock in a bucket of freshwater at the moment to extract the shrimp I didn't want to resort to killing him but I can never catch him and seeing him eat my fish was the last straw after all my crabs have been disappearing the past few monthsY

If you put him in fresh water then it most likely killed him. Invert's can't handle salinity changes.

I ran to the Lfs after work and they gave me a bitter of para guard they said to food the dosing instructions and add it directly to the tank they said it would be more forgiving than copper... Does this sound right?

Can you post updated pics of your sick fish?

For the record, you never want to add copper to a DT. I avoid any use of copper if it's at all possible.

Back
Top Bottom