Question about a coral name

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daylilly

Aquarium Advice Activist
There is a coral that i saw at the LFS but keep forgetting to ask its name. I see growing on mostly the glass of the aquarium. It's sways side to side it looks like a rug of green grass. I think it's like greenish brownish in color also I saw a clownfish hosting it. Anyone know what it's called? Is it expensive?

Thanks

Most likely a green haddoni carpet anemone. Not a coral, invert. If it is rather large, it can be very expensive.

No not haddoni just looked it up. It's a but more longer the hairy part ad sways more

Then i'd say green star polyps. But are you sure you saw a clown hosting that stuff? Maybe it was just swimming through it at the time rather than "hosting" it?

Yeah it was like hosting it. Looks just like a good green lawn grass lol bit brownish

Green lawn, and rug of green grass would make anyone think green star polyps(GSP). So that's my vote. Clownfish host anything if they feel like it, so it wouldn't surprise me that they were hosting that stuff.

+1 for GSP, a lot of people put it on the glass and let it grow (for whatever reason idk, id think itd be cooler like a real carpet like those awesome bonsai FW scapes)

Yup thanks so it is GSP! Will look into getting one. How long does it take to see it double it's size? R they expensive?

lol, one. It's never one. It's cheap stuff, not expensive at all, and under the right water and lighting conditions it grows like the weeds in your backyard. I love it personally, but when i add it to my next tank i am going to isolate it to a rock of its own. Otherwise it spreads everywhere, pretty much uncontrollably. Unless you frag it back.

Is it hard to frag it if it grows all over?
Thanks for the info guys!

I can't get it off my rocks. Don't buy it, you can get it anywhere. Its very pretty but will soon take over.

I got one! It's a small piece!! I put it against the glass back corner will it stick on to the glass it's self? It hasn't opened yet been closed since I got it
Does it need direct flow?

You say you put it in the bottom corner? Is it getting any light? And like Corey said, you definitely don't want to blast it with a direct stream of water form your powerheads. A nice turbulent sporadic flow should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom