Question about a Sixline.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefbound

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all, I have a Sixline wrasse in QT and he has been there a week and two days and what im noticing is a lot of slime, especially in the morning,is this normal for the species? The water is ok, here is a small break down of the QT:
ph-8.3
ammonia-0
nitrite-0
nitrate-non readable
temp-80
sp-1.022
gallon water change everyday, almost a mirror of the main.He is eating very well,i feed like the main, once a day every other day and the only problem I see is his tail fin and side fin were picked at when he was at the LFS. Is there anything that can be done to help the fins along or just time. TIA.

I have never noticed this with my sixline wrasse. Can you describe it in any more detail?

lando said:
I have never noticed this with my sixline wrasse. Can you describe it in any more detail?

The only thing I can say is, Its clear in color and thick,its all around the Sixline. This morning when I went down to turn on the lights, He was in a 3/4 inch pvc pipe and the opening was all slimed.
I will try for a pic but Im not guaranteing anything,my camera skills need work...

Hmmm...any other abnormal behavior? Is the fish eating? No visible signs of other problems? I would start running some GAC on your QT to see if the slime clears up. Try adding some more flow as well.

lando said:
Hmmm...any other abnormal behavior? Is the fish eating? No visible signs of other problems? I would start running some GAC on your QT to see if the slime clears up. Try adding some more flow as well.

No abnormal behavior, appetite is great, Im running a filter with carbon in it now...If a problem arises I would remove to treat...This filter moves 90 gal an hour in a 20 gal long do you thing i should still add more? ...here are two pic's one is the Sixline the other is the best shot of the slime on the end of the pvc pipe.

WWWeeeeiiirrrrddd. That's what I think. Six lines are scaleless, if I'm thinking straight, so it stands to reason they would produce slime to fight off infection or parasites. I've never seen mine do that, although, it was the only fish to survive the great ich plague that wiped out my kole tang, maroon yellow stripe clowns, royal gramma, and fire gobies. I hear if you add garlic extract it'll make them get slimey, but I've never seen it in action. Personally, I'm a little hesitant to dump garlic in my tank. Seems pretty foreign to the ocean.

zuzecawi said:
WWWeeeeiiirrrrddd. That's what I think. Six lines are scaleless, if I'm thinking straight, so it stands to reason they would produce slime to fight off infection or parasites. I've never seen mine do that, although, it was the only fish to survive the great ich plague that wiped out my kole tang, maroon yellow stripe clowns, royal gramma, and fire gobies. I hear if you add garlic extract it'll make them get slimey, but I've never seen it in action. Personally, I'm a little hesitant to dump garlic in my tank. Seems pretty foreign to the ocean.

If this is the case,and they produce slime like lets say a Mandarin,then would you keep a Sixline in QT or can one be added directly like a Mandarin? He has been in QT for a week and two days, if he dont then I can go get my next fish and put him in QT ... If this were the case.Right?

The only thing is his fins that were picked on...They need to heal,grow back first... is there a way to promote this...

Good food helps fin regrowth. Live food, pods preferably. Mine eats worms too. I'd keep QT though, since slime isn't produced for nothing, so SOMETHING is present. Wait it out till it starves out, shorting QT does nobody any good. Just my hard learned 02cents.

zuzecawi said:
Good food helps fin regrowth. Live food, pods preferably.

While at the LFS they fed this Sixline a homemade concoction that they make and sell... I have given flake , mysis , and pellets which he has eaten all,but he prefers the homemade food best,lucky for me I bought some.

and I have no plan to remove him from QT until his fins are better...

Damaged fins can be a sign of poor water quality or poor diet. It looks like parameters are okay so I would focus on diet. Time to bring in some suppliments to add to the food. The mysis is good but try soaking it in vita chm and selcon. I also add garlic Extreme to my food. You may also want to try krill or a frozen meaty combo from the LFS.

lando said:
Damaged fins can be a sign of poor water quality or poor diet. It looks like parameters are okay so I would focus on diet. Time to bring in some suppliments to add to the food. The mysis is good but try soaking it in vita chm and selcon. I also add garlic Extreme to my food. You may also want to try krill or a frozen meaty combo from the LFS.

The damaged fins happened at the LFS not in my tank...since he's been in QT his tail fin looks much better its not split in two anymore and his nemo fin looks better but not whole yet. I'm not taking offense its just the damaged happened elsewhere... As for meaty food, this stuff that I buy from another LFS is made inhouse, He told me it has meats, veggies algae's and all the good stuff...The Sixline cant get enough of it and My Flame Angel goes bananas when I put it in the main as does most of the nocturnal creatures that come out to get some...

Back
Top Bottom