Question about a sump/refugium...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MichaelsLilGray

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This is my first sump i built.. everything is great on it, except id like to know.. how do you guys get these things calibrated EXACTLY where they need to be? The pump is either pumping to much.. or to little. ive made a few improvements to the line, like making it bring in a little less from the tank, via a nozzle. but i still run the pump dry everynow and again.. allowing bubbles into my tank =(. any suggestions?

How big is the sump? How many chambers? Did you design in bubble traps?
Is your overflow producing consistent drainage?
One way to fine tune the flow would have been to put a shut off valve north of the return pump. You could then partially close it to fine tune the flow. Not to mention if you ever need to replace the pump you can stop the water flow all together (put a value on the drain side too).

Do you have an overflow or is your tank drilled?
Does your pump flow faster than you overflow is rated?

If you have an overflow, adjust the box inside the tank up and down. If your pump is running the sump dry and your tank is not overflowing then you need to lower the box in the tank.

If your pump flows faster than your overflow is rated you will have to put in a valve on the return side to slow it down.

I kind of rigged mine up.. Didnt feel like drilling a hole in my 55g, so i put a hole in the filter casing. (just one of them.. the one that flows less) sadly enough, it puts out just over 155gph. the pump has settings on it for 150-200. But that extra 5 either way is killing me!

Btw.. tis a 10 gallon, with bubble traps, setup quite tastefully.. just got a little out of control with the silcone xD

that may be the problem, not being able to adjust the overflow.

As far as I can think of the best way to adjust would be to turn the pump off, then set your tank and sump water at the level that you want, now take water from the tank and fill the sump to the top, wherever the water level is now inside the tank that is where you want the overflow set so that no more water is running through( just above the water line).
Set your pump to 150 and turn it on
theoretically that is how its supposed to work, when you turn the pump on, the tank will start to fill and start to run through the overflow right away and continue to circulate.

Let me know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom