Question about anemones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reese

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay so my tank is about done with its cycle. I'm close to adding two percs to the tank. How hard is it to keep an anenome? All I'm running now is a 50/50 with no protein skimmer in my 29 gallon tank.

How much more work/money am I looking at to successfully keep an anenome? What kind of lighting can I get away with? And is there a species that you would recommend if you think this is a good idea?

Thanks.

In a 29g tank you could get away with a good amount of Compact Flouresent's or VHO lighting. Also you need an established tank of 6 months or more. The more mature the tank the better.

1. tank needs to be 6-9 months old before adding an anemone
2. I'd suggest a protein skimmer, as it'll make keeping fish and anemone much easier
3. You'll want about 3 watts per gallon of lighting before you keep an anemone, and even then you'll need to stick to lower light varieties. I'd suggest a bubble tip anemone, they don't need tons of light, and are hardy as far as anemone's go.

The only anemone I would suggest for that tank size is a BTA. Definately wait as close to a year as possible before adding one. If available, look for tank raised clones, much hardier. As far as ligting is concerned, 2x65w would be the minimum I would suggest.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom