question about base rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supafreak

Aquarium Advice Activist
a friend of ours had a huge tank, and let it get......er.......not so nice. He decided to tear it down, and (may he rot in hell) took about 200 lbs of LIVE rock and put it in his garage in plastic tubs. So they dried out, and got really cold over our Canada winter.

Well, here is where i come in. We just set up our 120g salt tank (we have a small 30g already quite established) He gave us a really good deal on all the base rock, and it looks really nice. We added some live rock from our small tank.

My question, is there any hope of that base rock springing new life? or is it a lost cause? will the organisms migrate from our live rock and take up residence in the base rock?

is there anything i can do to make this more likely?

what are you guys paying for live rock? were looking at about $7.99 lbs canadian......so i don't even want to do the math to figure out how much money this guy wasted by letting it all die!

For sure, the base rock willl spring to life! How fast is according to how much of the established live rock is in the tank. The more, the faster it will seed. I have used base rock before, and in about 6 months I had some nice looking live rock!

Yes, the live rock will "seed" your base rock, though it might take a while. To help the process, you can do a few things. Use powerheads to help circulate the water, moving the bacteria all around your tank to help them "migrate". Using ample lighting will help the coralline algae thrive and spread itself. Make sure your rock is spaced so that it is well ventilated, and water can get into all those crevices between the rocks. Finally, supplementing the water with calcium, strontium, iodine, and trace elements should benefit the proliferation of the rock's inhabitants.

My LFS charges $7.00 per lb of rock, Liverocks.com charges about $5.00, I think, but it costs quite a bit to have it shipped.

led, lr.com's price of ~5 bucks a pound is w/ overnight shipping.

You won't be disappointed with liverock.com. It is some of the best rock I have seen, and at $5.00 a pound including shipping is a steal. My lfs here charges $8.00 a lb. for not so good rock. Enjoy!

Mike

Am I missing something? every time I look at lr.com there is a huge shipping charge. brings it up to $8.59/lb

Do they ship to canada? (yes I could check the website) And also has anyone in Canada ever had any shipped and if so did it arrive in good shape (little to no die off ect.)

I am in Alberta.

Back
Top Bottom