Question about built in protein skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blackcat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
:D I just purchased a new wet dry filter with a built in Skimmer. I have tried to adjust the protein skimmer but it either flows over too much or none at all. The model is an Aqua Clear Pro model 75. I dont know anything about skimmers as this is my first one. In the instructions it tells you to make the finest bubbles by adjusting the venturi(which I have done). When i do this the bubbles never creep up into the tube. Now it may be that I'm not waiting long enough. My question is. Is there any guide lines to follow as to the general height of the bubbles? And how long does it generally take for it to begin working? The tank has been established for over 1 year. If anyone owns this wet dry and can offer some insight I would be thankful. Or if anyone can help with general info.

Thanks,
Robert

lmkbubblfsh.gif

to AquariumAdvice.com!!

I have never known a "built in" skimmer that did a very good job, and aqua clear skimmers are not very good even when talking about their stand alone models. The venturi should make the same size bubbles, there shouldn't be an adjust ment to change the size of the bubble, simply the amount. Skimmers have a delayed reaction, so open it up a bit and then wait an hour, if it is not producing foam, open it up a bit more and wait, etc... Also all new skimmer will require a break in period where they will not produce foam, this can take a few hours to a few days.

And if this is a new tank there very well may not be anything to skim for a while. Since a skimmer works by removing disolved organic compounds from the water if your water is very clean (ie a new tank with all new water and hardly any bio load) then your skimmer could go days/weeks with out producing much skim.

I have the same wet dry you do, but I'm still waiting for a replacement Skimmer. The third one they shipped (horrible story) had a huge crack on the skimmer.
I'll let you know if I have any luck with mine, when I get it.

Back
Top Bottom