question about bulb placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mazilla

Aquarium Advice Regular
does it matter which bulbs (temp.) go in front or back of the fixture? the way i got my coralife the daylights were in the front. i switched them and i like the way it looks with the actinics in front, is there a difference? also, can you mix match them? i already broke most of the stupid little band thingies that "help" hold the bulbs up trying the first combination, i'll wait for answer before i destroy the rest.

I've only lost one of the bands on my coralife fixture so far. Regardless, I don't think it makes a difference which way you put them in your tank, so long as you like the way it looks. :)

on the coralife pc fixtures (well at least the 4x65 lunar aqualight that i own) the 10K bulbs are on the circuit that controls the cooling fans. the 10K bulbs put out more heat, so when they are on, the fan is also on. if ONLY the actinics are swtiched on, the fans do not turn on. if you switch the bulbs around, the actinics will be on the circuit with the fans, and the 10K's will be on the circuit without the fans. this means that if you turn on only the 10k's you may overheat your fixture. If you ALWAYS run your 10K and actinics at the same time, this really isnt an issue, but you really should keep the 10K bulbs associated with the circuit that controls the fans...

what you have to do is take the endcaps off the fixture, and change the locations of the bulb sockets... that way, the bulbs remain associated with the same circuits, and the fan will power on when the 10K bulbs are turned on.

~mike

Back
Top Bottom