Question about Clam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I am not interested in a clam...but a friend of mine who is just setting up his first saltwater aquaria is. He just set up a 30 gall (36 inch) tank, with all the right equipment etc. (live rock, live sand, RO water, etc) and got a 196 CF light. He asked if "a" clam (im assuming a crocea but I am not sure). would be ok in his tank once its all cycled etc.? I am not sure because everywhere I hear it says to use MH on it, but I was thinking maybe because it is not as deep, or tall, it would be ok?
any info would help a lot, thanks.

Depending on the depth, I think a crocea would be fine. I am; however, more concerned with the fact that he is new to saltwater aquariums and clams can be rather sensitive at times. He should probably get his feet wet with more reliable coral sp. if that is his intentions.

I agree with James. He should wait till his tank stabilizes first before getting one. I have the squamosa and have VHO`s and it does quite good. It does not require as much lighting as the others. Here it is

Attachments

• 100_0973_160.jpg
    100_0973_160.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 28
I think he should stay away from a crocea or a maxima as they are the most light demanding clams. I would probably wait a year for the tank to get established. Not info he will want to hear but a nice stable tank is a must.

I agree w/ Ellisz about avoiding Maxima's and especially Crocea's. Most others, Squamosa, Derasa, etc. should be ok w/ that lighting, although they tend to get large. Leave plenty of room when aquascaping for the clam. Some can grow a few inches a year if conditions are right. Also they comsume Ca and Alk as they grow. He will need to monitor the water params and keep up on PWC's. HTH

My apologies, I meant to type squamosa, not crocea. Once again, sorry.

Melosu58 said:
Now you tell me Mike. LOL
Haha- you have plenty of room in that big tank! That is a great looking clam Mike (y)
I just picked up a baby Ultra Maxima (about 1.5") last weekend :)

^ I added one to my gallery. It's not very good though, the clam is very small. I have to feed live phyto for awhile, till it gets bigger. Wish me luck :lol:

Back
Top Bottom