Question about cleaner wrasse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

louherz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

I purchased a cleaner wrasse last week. It did well the first day but sometime during the night it died. I took it back to the fish store, they tested the water and said that all was well. They gave me another, The new one lasted 4 days and last night it died. If the water is good, is there any reason that they would die. Are these fish difficult to keep in captivity? Any information would help. Thanks,
Louis :?:

Buying a cleaner wrasse is the worst thing you can do. They do so poorly in aquariums because they need a constant supply of parasites. Even if you get one thats eating other foods theres no gaurentee. They also should not be removed from the reefs due to their services they provide. Research your fish before you buy.

Thanks for the reply.

Well, I guess that I put a little to much faith in the Salesman at the fish store. He told me how I needed one in my reef tank to get rid of any parasites that come up. I have learned my lesson and will read up on any fish that I purchase. I wish I would have checked before I bought, I could have prevented the death of the fish. Thanks again.

Louis :(

if your looking for a hardy fish to remove parasites i would look into a neon goby. they tend to serve the same function as a cleaner wrasse but they do much better in aquariums. if your water quality is good you should be able to keep this little guy.

It's ok, we all make mistakes. Personally if any LFS told me that, I would find another one. A neon goby is a good alternative, but IME they don't live to long. A cleaner shrimp is IMO the next best choice. They do a great job, but a neon would work just as well. Or you could do both.

yeah if you can afford to do both do it because they are both really cool to watch. personally i have had my neon goby for about 2 years with no problem.

Back
Top Bottom