Question about eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dolphineducator

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. I have a snowflake moray eel in a 50 gal tank. He is a small guy and I have had him for about a year. His tank mates are two blue damselfish that are kinda jerks to him. He goes in their territory and they slap him in the face. He lunges at them but no fatalities yet. My eel hasn't eaten in about a week. I feed him raw shrimp and he usually has a good appetite. I was wondering if other people have had this happen with eels before? Do they just not eat for periods at a time. I wonder if the damsel fish are really starting to bother him. I'm thinking of selling them back to the LFS. Any ideas or thoughts to get my eel eating. My water quality is normal. thanks. :?:

You might want to soak the food in garlic and something vitamin fortified like selcon or similar.

You might want to try some variety in his diet like maybe some krill or something. Never had an eel but just some suggestions I could think of.

Eels do sometimes stop eating for periods of time, it's not entirely unlikely. Would probably get rid of the damselfish, they are jerks..:p Replace them with less aggressive tankmates, or give them a few more tankmates to pick on. Just keep offering him food until he decides to eat, but don't leave it in the tank if he refuses it. Monitor for damage on eel. :) HTH

As Nikki stated, eels can and will go on hunger strikes, especially if anything is bothering them. If the damsels are picking at the eel, they should be removed since excessive biting can result in infection. Also note that eels should be fed a variety of seafood to help stimulate appetite and not supress it. Frozen shrimp w/shell, squid, silversides, bony fish, crabs, mussel/clam, etc. are all suitable foods 2-3 times/week.

I had one and it stopped eating one day and never to ate again. No clue why it stopped, I tried all kinds of food and it just never ate any. After about 5 months it died..
Good luck with the eel..

seaham358 said:
I had one and it stopped eating one day and never to ate again. No clue why it stopped, I tried all kinds of food and it just never ate any. After about 5 months it died..
Good luck with the eel..

This is unfortunate and I'm positive there were more issues at play. If anything, live crustaceans can be used until properly weaned onto prepared foods :)

hmm

He seemed to love his shrimp and has been eating it for about a year. He appears normal. I guess he is just stressed because of those damselfish. They will be gone shortly. So squid might work huh? I'll try that. Thank you.

silversides are another good option. My snowflake has gone several months without eating. It is something they do from time to time.

That is good to know. I'm not too worried. He did this before but I wanted to make sure it was normal with other eel owners. Thanks for the reply. :wink:

Now one of the blue damselfish is missing! I think the eel ate it and that is why he is not eating from me. I guess the damsel got what was coming for him. The other fish is going back today to the fish store. I hope the eel is ok.

Back
Top Bottom