Question about filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClayBishop

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok I got a 55 gallon almost cycled I have a 20 gallon tank no media pad with live rock in it No light. I also have a aqua top 500 with a uv 9 watt. I need some advice on what I need to do. Get rid of canister or what.

Ok I got a 55 gallon almost cycled I have a 20 gallon tank no media pad with live rock in it No light. I also have a aqua top 500 with a uv 9 watt. I need some advice on what I need to do. Get rid of canister or what.

? little confused as to what the question is. I mean why do you feel something is wrong exactly? and are you talking about the 55g or 20g?

I got a 20 as a sump 55 as main and I heard canisters are bad

oh ok, well canisters will work but they need maintained regularly in order to prevent them turning into nitrate factories. This means cleaning and replacement of media/pads often. How much live rock do you have? If you have sufficient live rock I suggest a nice size skimmer and possibly a filter sock or two when needed to polish off any larger debris.

What Schism said. A quality skimmer will be great for you to remove crap out of the water column. He covered the canister part well, they need proper maintenance. I personally run a sump with a reef octopus skimmer, rated for 150 gallons for my 55 reef and 20 long sump.

ClayBishop said:
30 pounds of live rock

I got some in my sump too

Your probably gonna want a good 20 more lbs. dont worry much about the diatoms. Ugly i know but a good sign.

Back
Top Bottom