Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-08-2004, 12:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Question about flame angel

I just bought a flame angel yesterday, and he is in my QT right now. I plan to have it there for 3 wks. that would make my tank 3 months old. Right now i only have a clown. Tank is 55 gal w/ lr, 17 snails, 15 hermits, and some hitchikers. ph is 8.1, nitrites 0, trates 10-15. phosphates are undetectible. anyway, the fish looks healthy, ate at the store, and is very active. the salesman told me that unless i have a uv sterilizer, i shouldnt keep angels. is this true? i bought it anyway, and will be sure to closely monitor it while in qt. just wondering if he was trying to sell me a sterilizer. thanks for any input.

Old 11-08-2004, 12:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

never listen to that sales guy heheh not true !

Old 11-08-2004, 12:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
I don't see any basis for this. All fish are potential hosts for parasites, to the best of my knowledge Flames are not any more susceptible than others.
How much LR do you have? These fish love to pick at the LR. Also, I would stretch the qt period to 4 weeks just to be on the safe side.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

i have 80 lbs of keys rock from liverocks. thanks for the replies...just one more ? my tank will be just over 3 months old when the angel goes in...i read that the tank needs to be "well established" for flame angels. what exactly is well established? 3 months? 5? 6?
Thanks again.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
it depends on your algae growth. These fish like to spend their time picking at lr and the algae on it.
If he was eating at the LFS, no worries. He should eat prepared foods as well. Get one of those vegi clips from you LFS and hang some nori (seaweed sheets) for him everyday. Should do the trick.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

i had a lot of algae on my glass and rock, the one on my glass is gone however. i still have some on the rocks, not as much though becuase my cleaners take care of it. i will def buy some seaweed for it. thanks.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Got to love these LFS and there advise..... Was he looking to make the big sale of a UV?

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 03:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
As long as he is eating prepared, he should be ok. You'll see him pick at the rocks, a lot of times they can find stuff in the rocks u didn't even know was there. You may also wanna consider just wedging a sheet of seaweed between rocks or rubberbanding it down, so if he wants to pick the rock, it will be waiting for him!

Join the Alabama Regional Forum!
MACATUA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
angel, flame, flame angel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com