Question about FOWLR vs Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matman1110

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is the only difference between the two is that reefs have corals/inverts and FOWLR do not?

Also if someone were to have just 1 or 2 corals in their tank is this considered a reef?

I understand that reefs require stronger lighting, but are there other extra equipment i need to maintain a reef?

Thanks in advance

The fish are also a difference, as some fish are not coral safe. Also the salinity can be kept a bit lower in a fowlr since you dont have corals.

With two corals though, depending on the coral and fish I woudl probably in my mind still consider it a fowlr.

Just my two cents
:)

I have a lot of mushrooms and rics but still just a FOWLR in my eyes ,and pretty much everyone else..I also have fish that would completely wreck havoc on a full reef system..
As far as extra equipment ,,i don't know,,have to wait for a reefer to chime in

As far as equipment goes, yep, you need excellent lighting and usually a protein skimmer if the tank is large enough. I run a sump with skimmer and a refugium on my 125g reef and I also have a 12 bulb lighting system.

Those are the main pieces of equipment for my reef.

As far as equipment goes, yep, you need excellent lighting and usually a protein skimmer if the tank is large enough. I run a sump with skimmer and a refugium on my 125g reef and I also have a 12 bulb lighting system.

Those are the main pieces of equipment for my reef.

what is a protein skimmer, and is it necessary in a fowlr?

also what is a sump and refugium?

what is a protein skimmer, and is it necessary in a fowlr?

also what is a sump and refugium?
This is a touchy subject ..I have never used a skimmer and personally don't think they are a necessity..People who do use them swear by them,but people who don't also say they are not " needed " ...
A sump/fuge is another tank that sits under your DT and contains varies things for your system..

Back
Top Bottom