Question about fraggng stuff..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smooth_rivers

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have some mushrooms, brown polyps, buttons and one toadstool leather that I would like to start propagating around my tank. I've never seen this addressed, but the question is...should the cuttings be done durng lights out after they've closed up or does it make a difference?

thx

Doesn't matter...I've fragged them at 3pm and 3am with no difference in the results. You don't want to do it in the tank though. Use a bowl of tank water to cut them in and have another bowl of tank water handy to drop the cuttings in. I also use Kent Tech D to dip both the parent colonies and the frags in before they go back in the tank. It helps prevent infections.

I've never fragged anything after lights out, never had a problem.

Ditto.

You don't want to do it in the tank though. Use a bowl of tank water to cut them in and have another bowl of tank water handy to drop the cuttings in. I also use Kent Tech D to dip both the parent colonies and the frags in before they go back in the tank. It helps prevent infections.

Ditto again.

Also, after fragging any softies, I'd highly recommend running some GAC. And, if you are fragging any types of polyps, was your hands *well* and consider wearing some sort of eye protection while fragging. The *palytoxin* these contain is extremely dangerous. No kids or pets near the fragging, dispose of the "frag water" carefully. Use gloves, wash hands, etc. well.

Don't do what I did and off-handedly rub the side of your mouth with your hand before washing. I walked around with a novocaine-numb mouth for a couple days, and the symptoms/results can be much more serious than that.

thx Dewey, I've read 'em and watched the flicks. Just trying to be as smart as I can be lest I and up damaging my tank or me, lol.

***Duplicate post removed by Bearfan***

Back
Top Bottom