question about Hammer coral.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefbound

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just like the title says... Over at the LFS there is a beautiful Hammer coral on sale for 39$ and its about 5 or 6 inches is this a hard coral to take care of.

EDIT: Just found out its a pink colored Frogspawn... will my pc lighting be enough for this speciman... Man its a beauty...

You may be okay. I used to have that fixture on my 72gal and my corals did great.

lando said:
You may be okay. I used to have that fixture on my 72gal and my corals did great.

Lando,
Thanks for the response I was starting to think no one knew what this was... Anyway I did pick it up last night just before the LFS closed and my lights went out for the night. the only thing Im concerned about is the flow in my tank, I know its not a whole lot but the Frogspawn is waving very nicely were its placed... And its not as inflated as it was at the LFS... (I have more flow than the tank it was in and more light way more light) they had one actinic 48 inch on it. I can try and get a pic up a little later...

The coral will a few days to acclimate and open fully. This is normal. As for flow...they like to be in some current but not directly. Time will tell to see if it likes the spot you picked out. A pic would be great.

Well here is my new tank inhabitant... Tell me how it looks...this is the best pic I could get. Still not open like at the LFS but definitely looks better color wise.

OooOOoooOOO ever pretty

Might take it a bit to come to, but frogspawns are breautiful corals to keep, i'm sure yours will do great :D

Looks pretty good. It may prefer a spot on the rockwork as oppossed to the substrate. The sand can irritate the coral flesh and lead to infections.

you say it may prefer a spot on the rock,Is that to get it closer to the light or just in case it rubs the substrate? Right now its not hitting it at all. And where its located is the calmest spot in the tank (flow)and furthest from the light.

Mine did not grow much on the LS as soon as I put it up on the LR it took off. They sprout new heads from the base and from the sides of heads and they also have heads split so IMO the SB did not allow it to grow they way it wanted too.

I agree put it on your LR and it will take off. Dont rush things. Let him acclimate himself to the surroundings. Here is mine

Attachments

• 000_0035_162.jpg
    000_0035_162.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 23
I'll take everyone's advice and get him a spot an the rocks... How high should it be or wont that really matter because of the pc lighting?and i believe the flow is a little lower than where he is now so he may even inflate a little more.

Back
Top Bottom