Question about lighting.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquaman99

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank is a 55 gallon FOWLR setup. It came with 2 x Coralife 65 watt Power Compact 50/50 bulbs.

I looked up what 50/50 means and it's 50% daylight spectrum and 50% actinic. When I searched online the combo 50/50 units have 1 white bulb and 1 blue bulb.

My lights are both white though. Is it possible for actinic light bulbs to be blue?

Also, is that enough lighting power to have corals & anmemones in a 55 gallon tank?

If not, can you recommend some lights?

Thanks!

What is the model name on the bulb? It should be indicated on the hard plastic near the connector.

There are some 50/50 PC bulbs that actually are a mix of the 2 spectrums. Other systems use separate bulbs to accomplish the same thing. Both work, so it's just a matter of figuring out what you got.

As for corals, you might get away with some low light softies, but that's definately not enough light for an anemone.

What is the model name on the bulb? It should be indicated on the hard plastic near the connector.

There are some 50/50 PC bulbs that actually are a mix of the 2 spectrums. Other systems use separate bulbs to accomplish the same thing. Both work, so it's just a matter of figuring out what you got.

As for corals, you might get away with some low light softies, but that's definately not enough light for an anemone.

I see a G11 on the plastic connector. I assume that is the model number?

I have VHO bulbs but I have two 50/50 bulbs and they are white. I have two super actinics also.

No, that's not really helpful. See if you can find a 5 digit number or something that reads in K or nm. For instance 10,000K or 460nm.

Back
Top Bottom