Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-08-2010, 11:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Question Question about lighting

Can someone with a SW tank please explain, if you can, what, if buying this "replacement" bulb that is blue/white { 11W Blue/White Combo CF Bulb
(Mfg# B11-BW10K), CD-72151
$19.99 }, would do for my fish or coral??

Are their benefits to having this type of bulb over what I have now?? I usually run { 11W Daylight CF Bulb (Mfg# B11-W10K), CD-72149 $12.99 } , for 5 hours early morning (7am-12 noon) then in evening (5pm-10pm) I can't leave the lights on all day because I live in South Florida, and my home gets too warm during mid afternoon, most days and it heats up the tank too much. The room the tank is in is bright and sunny most days, although the tank is, of course, not near windows or doors. I have read the basic facts about blue/white bulbs, but aren't sure if my personal tank needs/would benefit from them.
Thanks for the advice and help, in advance!!
(I have all my current stats listed on my profile page)

JJMS86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:41 PM   #2
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
It won't do anything except make the tank have a "bluer" look than it does now.

It's not a good idea to have 2 seperate light cycles in a 24 hr period. It's not natural for the fish or corals.
Why do a run an airstone 2x/day for 15 mins?

125g reef
See My Tank Info
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:58 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Larry, thank you for responding to my questions about lighting. So the blue/white light is just used for an aesthetic look, so I'm not interested in that, I like the way it looks now.
As for separating light cycles, there is no other way I can think of doing it, unless you have a suggestion I maybe hadn't thought about, please share your thoughts. (I have tried keeping a fan blowing on tank, but that did nothing) On days that I was home, I've tried many different scenarios, ie: letting lights come on later in the day (12 noon-10pm etc...
I know you said it was not natural for fish, but do you think being in a tank at LFS that has lights on from 8am until 9 pm is natural/optimal? Do you know if it would have any long term negative effects, because so far the fish seem happy/healthy now. The corals are doing fine too. I appreciate the fact that you took the time to respond, please, if you have time, explain further.

About the airstone, my friend at work told me to do that, simply because it would help move H2O around tank to help filter do it's job better, removing waste in "dead" areas of tank etc... Do you not agree with that? If not, please explain.
As I am very new to this and it seems every LFS and person asked has a differing opinion, it is a lot to comprehend, but I'm trying
Thank you again for your thoughts!!
JJMS86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:12 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Did you have to fan blowing across the surface of the water? It almost always will drop my temp a couple degrees.
Links to old builds:
12DX LED Build
Frag Tank (Fixed Link)
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:42 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
I don't have any personal experience with it, but I've seen guides on algae control where it's mentioned that a split light cycle, a couple hours of off time in the middle, will not adversely affect your plants and animals. Its somewhat akin to a cloudy period. Algae on the other hand require more constant intense light and their grow cycle can be disrupted with split lighting.
"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing" A. Einstein
"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."
"We can do anything we want to if we stick to it long enough." Helen Keller
Deep Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
Use a powerhead to get your water moved around. All you'll end up with the airstone is a bunch of salt creep from your bubbles bursting.

Lighting at a LFS isn't permanent. They are there to be sold, not permanent housing.
40g Breeder Reef tank
250w MH/Lumenmax Elite/Reef lux 20k/Galaxy
GS Maroon Clown & Antennata Lionfish
milhous3er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Additionally... a 8am to 9pm light period isn't abnormal at all when you figure the tropics normally have 12 hours of daylight. I don't disagree with DeepSeven's comment about having a "cloudy period"... many of the new LED units even go to great lengths to simulate that. But we're not talking about cloudy... we're talking no lights. (Room lighting doesn't count - for corals you might as well be talking night time.)

I do not know of any studies about long term effects, but I know it would effect me!
Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:02 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
How big is your Tank and what kind of Lighting fixture do you have that your running 11watts only?

Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote

light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com