Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-06-2003, 01:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Question about MH bulbs

I just finished upgrading my 2x65w 10k PC to 2x250w 10K MH lighting tonight. I am very disappointed in the color of these MH lights. I was sure that they would be white(r) than my PC lights. Instead, my PC's looked allot better. The MH with the actinics looks like my 10K PC without, just to give you an idea. Very yellow

The kit came with no-name bulbs. But 10k should be 10k right?

Old 11-06-2003, 02:40 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Re: Question about MH bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishy929
The kit came with no-name bulbs. But 10k should be 10k right?
Nope. Unfortunately, that's kind of like saying that since a Yugo and a Cadillac are both cars, they should be of equal quality 8O . There is a big difference in the color of different brands of MH bulbs. I know the Ushio 10k bulbs will give you a nice white light. I suspect the Blueline bulbs that Champion Lighting has would be good as well, but I don't know that for a fact as I have never tried them. I know reefrunner has played around with different brands of bulbs and he can probably give you a list of what looks good and what to run from. I have a source for MH bulbs at a really great price, but I have not had a chance to try one of them yet so I can't recommend them. Usually, the less expensive retro kits come with a 5500k bulb...that sounds like what you may have from your description despite what may be marked on the bulbs.

Old 11-06-2003, 03:29 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

New bulbs will also require about 100-150 hours of burn in time before they reach their true color. They should whiten up a little over the next couple of weeks.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:16 AM   #4
cj10488

Quote:
New bulbs will also require about 100-150 hours of burn in time before they reach their true color.
Agreed I would wait at least 4weeks before determining that you do not like the bulbs

HTH,
James
Old 11-06-2003, 11:08 AM   #5

Go with Aqualine 10k bulbs. Whitest i have seen. Also make sure your water is not tinted yellow from organics. THis will affect the color of the bulbs.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Also make sure your water is not tinted yellow from organics. THis will affect the color of the bulbs.
Agreed...GAC baby! run it for 3 or 4 hours and then look at the tank 8O
Old 11-06-2003, 02:04 PM   #7

Also make sure the front glass is free of
any film. This will make the light appear yellow. Run some carbon clean the glass and than see what it looks like!
Old 11-06-2003, 02:23 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I do have aqualine HQI bulbs, 10k, 250 watts, I want a bluer/whiter light as well.
I have heard that aqualine will be coming out with the 20k HQI bulbs later this
month....I hope so. If I can fault the spacelight in one way, it would be for the
lack of actinic supplementation in there...what is provided, just isnt enough in
my opinion. (First person that gets them in stock, gets to sell me 3 bulbs incidently )
Old 11-06-2003, 08:20 PM   #9
cj10488

Hope this Helps... I just got my 2x250watt Xm 10k bulbs and right from the start they are extremely white.. Hopefully after the burn-in period they will stay that way but it looks like it will.. And it saved me about $35.00ea over the Ushio bulbs.. Hopefully the price stays at the 65.00 range for the XM bulbs..

HTH,
James
Old 11-06-2003, 11:23 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Has anyone used or seen a Coralvue bulb? They have pics on their site that look pretty good www.coralvue.com . Prices are very attractive on these bulbs...a 250w 10,000k would go for about $50 + shipping. That 250w 20,000k HQI, Hara, is around $65.00. I don't know how good these bulbs are so I'm not carrying them on my site at this point. Hoping someone has tried them and can give an opinion. I have always believed, in most cases, that you get what you pay for which is why I'm leery of these...the prices are too good to be true.

Tags
bulb, bulbs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com