question about Mono sebae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cabezon

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know the Monos are listed as brackish and that they can go to salt as they get older. I was wondering if one could be acclimated to go directly into salt. I love the look of them, and want one for my SW tank, but the store has them in FW. Should I hold him in a 10 gal and slowly increase salinity? how old do they have to be to be full salt?

thanks

Tagging along, I didn't know some FW/Brackish fish could convert to SW.

Haha.. try talking to Flake. She knows all about the FW to SW converting experience as she did this with Mollies... i think. So FW fish being converted to SW isn't the weirdest thing i've heard of. But no offense.. that fish is.. kinda ugly lol. I wouldn't want it in my SW tank.

i did end up finding someone that acclimated the fish in 6 hours.But I dont know how young it was. the fish moves from brackish to salt to mate.

I think it looks kind of futuristic

i did end up finding someone that acclimated the fish in 6 hours.But I dont know how young it was. the fish moves from brackish to salt to mate.

I think it looks kind of futuristic

It's definitely going to be a talking point for your tank. If someone that does FW sees it swimming in there, it's gonna start a "How did you do that?" conversation. I'm going to have to look around for other fish that may be able to convert, thanks for the idea Cabezon.

I used to keep monos in my planted freshwater tank.

Basically, when they are young, they are bred in freshwater to replicate a natural situation. Mature monos (both argentis and saebe) will go into the freshwater and brackish deltas to spawn. As they grow old though, they prefer brackish to saltwater since they move out of the shallows when aging.

In my opinion, monos are ok to be in brackish water at a young age as long as they are properly acclimated, but attempting to keep mature fish in freshwater their whole life stresses them.

Another thing to consider is that they usually like lots of coverage, easily provided by large plants in freshwater tanks. Since they do grow large, I am not sure that rockwork in a SW aquarium would suffice their need for cover when they grow up which can also stress them. They do have quite a bit of character though, and mine was nearly trainined to be hand fed.

I am not so sure that I would attempt to put a juvinile in pure saltwater though, never experimented. Just providing what I do know about them.

Have you tried posting this question in the FW forum? I'm sure they will help too.

Back
Top Bottom