Question about my first Corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goisles1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi All,

Well.. had to take a loooong ride out to see my accountant yesterday to get my taxes done. I knew there was a new Reef shop in his area so I went out a little early to check it out. Long Story short is that I left the shop with 3 frags (my first corals!!!). The price was right

$10 - Green Zoas - approx 50heads
$10 - 1 green Mushroom
$15 - unsure - I think it is a Evergreen Starburst Polyp. As soon as they open, I'll snap a pic

My Question is related to the Polyp. It has yet to open back up. The Zoas are in full bloom and the mushroom looks fine as well. Last night, before lights out, I noticed some of the shoots opening up but then a Turbo snail went right over it and they retracted back into the puyrple tubes. I'm just curious if it's normal for them to take their time in a new system.

Also.. GENERAL Coral question - At night, do Zoas and Polps retract? MY Zoas were all closed last night but they are all opening up now that my Atcinics are on.

Already planning my next purchases!!!

Thanks!

Well the standard reply usually goes a little something like this...what are your water parameters, what other inhabitants are in the tank, what size tank, and what lights are you using? Also the placement of the frags in relation to your lights and water flow are important.

Sorry, about the retracting at night, yes they do. It requires energy to remain extended so if there is no light to provide them that energy they close up shop for the night.

well my zoas usually close at night. as do most my corals... more of a retraction than a close... kinda like 50/50 open

-Brad

Usually takes Green star polyps a little longer to open up. Just about everyone I know that has them took a few days. Do you know what would really enhance this thread. SOME PICS!!!! LOL

Well.. Left around noon with my son to get haircuts and go Ice skating (nice father son bonding day), and when I returned the Polyps are all out. They look awesome...

Here are som shots:

$10 Mushroom:
coral1.jpg

$10 Zoas - A hermit was just on some of them and they closed up ( Just noticed it's a little out of focus..:(
coral3.jpg

Here is what I think is the $15 Starburst Polyp (now all Open):
coral2.jpg

Whole Tank:
coral4.jpg

Did I do OK??

I had one mushroom just like yours there and I`ve probably made a couple hundred in store credit and still have these. They will grow like crazy under the right conditions.

100_1572.JPG

The Zoas look like Radio Active Dragon Eyes. Very nice pick up for $10!!

The "starburst" polyp is also know as green star polyps or pink star polyps depending on the color. They grow and spread very quickly so keep that in mine when placing them.

The Zoas look like Radio Active Dragon Eyes. Very nice pick up for $10!!

The "starburst" polyp is also know as green star polyps or pink star polyps depending on the color. They grow and spread very quickly so keep that in mine when placing them.

Hey thanks.. I'm amazed watching the corals in the tank. I get nervous thinking something is wrong with them... Like when the Polyps retract, or the mushroom shriks, etc etc.. Then, 30 mintes later, they are back to normal.. They're so pretty you forget they are alive and react to their enviornment.

Ziggy... In the last pic, you see most of my tank... What do you think of the 3 spots and did I place the GSP in a location that will allow for able growth?

I had one mushroom just like yours there and I`ve probably made a couple hundred in store credit and still have these. They will grow like crazy under the right conditions.

Wow Mike..your not kidding.. Just looking at my shroom today and I see a little Purple blob next to him. To me it looks like its an offspring.. Cool Stuff considering it's only been in my tank for 5 days

Your placement is just fine. What I was saying is the star polyps can and will cover any and all surfaces in your tank, just keep that in mind. I started out with a tiny patch about 3/4"x3/4" I now have 4 large rocks covered with probably thousands of polyps. I like to keep my GSP in a spot that I can control it's growth, like on a rock that doesn't touch any other rock in my system. As it is right now, my GSP are on a rock that is pretty much isolated from the rest of my rock structure.

Just an FYI on the coral and it's growth pattern.

That's good to know.. the Rock they they are on now is prob the largest rock in the entire system. I could not remove that without causing some major disruptions. I think I'll heed your warning and place it somewher else.I may move it up to the Top rock which I can easily move. I also have some smaller rocks down in my sump I can mount it to.

Those starburst polyps will grow like crazy as well. My orignal colony spread so fast that it overtook some of my mushrooms and polyps and I now need to take aggressive measures to control its spread. Just a heads up.

Back
Top Bottom