Question about nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

c0mf0rt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I took the ich fish back to the store... they gave me credit... I realize that I could still have an outbreak considering it's already in the tank.... we'll see.... from there I'll go to a QT..... anyway... I unloaded one more fish to lighten the bioload.... I've been complaining about not being able to get my nitrates down even with 10gal weekly water changes on a 60 gal tank... and then I realized that I had WAY too many fish.... I've lowered the count to a Yellow tang, two small damsels, a lawnmower blennie, and a psycho goby.... will my tank suffice... I know I'm going to hear about the tang... but maybe when he gets too big I'll trade him out.... anyway.... this should help my nitrates eventually correct??? Assuming I'm not feeding too much I mean......

If you have a sump you can get some mangroves and put in the sump, they suck up nitrates. Just keep them trimmed or they can get tall, they are trees after all. :mrgreen:

I've got a 60 gal wet/dry and a skimmer....... water movement is about 1000 gph.... 60 lbs. of LR ....... the wet/dry is half bioballs and half LR ... still looking for more rubble............

also.......... would more LR help with the nitrates ??? I keep reading that something about LR can do away with some nitrates... I always thought the only way to get rid of them was through water changes.......

I now know the problem, when was the last time you cleaned the bio balls? they are a nitrate factory if not cleaned properly. I would loose the bio balls, get some more lr and do a good size water change to get the nitrates down, then they should stay there. Also I would take the side where the bio balls were and put some sand and get some of those mangroves, if you want to.

Back
Top Bottom